Which is best insert

jimbo409November 24, 2010

I am thinking of buying a gas fireplace insert and the dealers has 2 demo models1. a Lennox Shoreline and a 2. Lexington Forge.They are both around the same price.Does anyone know which is the better choice.Thanks jimbo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fandlil

The important thing is that the insert you select be a direct vent system. They are the safest, most energy efficient. If your choce is between 2 direct vent systems, select the one you think looks nicer. (I assume your dealer turned them on so you could see how they look when lit.) You might also check the BTU ratings, which tell you how much heat these systems put out.

Be aware that these systems are a big job to install. It takes one or two guys at least 4-5 hours to complete the job. A special chimney cap needs to be put in. It's important that your installer check out your fireplace before comitting to an installation -- to take measurements, the location of the gas line, etc. Ask around to make sure your dealer has experience in putting these things in. You don't want to be on the low end of his learning curve. Another thing: make sure you get a remote thermostat, because these units can get real hot, like a blast furnace. You'll be turning it on and off pretty often unless you have a thermostat.

Bookmark   November 30, 2010 at 11:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobbymac

When we did a major renovation, we installed a Napoleon gas insert in the [former] woodburning fireplace in the master bedroom on the second floor. We couldn't see hauling wood upstairs and ashes downstairs, so went with a gas insert. While considering the efficiency of the insert, also consider the heat output and the ability to vary the heat output. The range of BTUs may be a factor, with more variable being better, to adjust to your comfort level. Ours can go from 25% to 100% which serves us well where we can see temperatures of -40 degrees in the winter (run it on high) as compared to late fall (run it on low).

Bookmark   December 4, 2010 at 10:10AM
More Discussions
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
Putting television IN firebox of fireplace
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've searched...
sherrgr
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Gas Fireplace question
We recently bought a second home, and it has a gas...
grapefruit1_ar
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
Sponsored Products
Idony Blue 18 x 18 Floral Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Pro-Series Diesel 7000 Watt Generator
Beyond Stores
Ceiling Installation Tools: Ceilume Flooring Soniguard 24 in. x 24 in. Drop
$1.79 | Home Depot
Orleans Bar Table with Chairs Cover
$189.50 | FRONTGATE
Polaris P816 Red Lava Glass Bathroom Sink
PLFixtures