Can I drywall around my fireplace?

carpenter_benjNovember 26, 2007

I'm finishing off a basement that has a fireplace. It was never finished off, just like the rest of the basement. I am framing in walls and drywalling the entire room. We want to drywall around the fireplace.

Do I have to do any masonry work at all? I noticed when some people cover over an existing fireplace surround they have used cement backer-board. If I were to do it that way, can I just mud/tape it and then paint?

Thanks - benj

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bsticks

Cement board is pretty rigid and has pitting (little holes) in the board. The board scratches real easy and if you are good with a spackle knife, you could easily mud all the imperfections in the board, sand, primer, and then paint.

It might make sense to use concrete board then a sheet of 5/8 fire resistant drywall on top of the concrete board.

Bookmark   November 30, 2007 at 8:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Shannon01

Both my houses had just framing around them, one was on an interior wall and other on an exterior wall, then drywall. Of course insulation on the outer walls. There was the space between unit and walls according to code. My new zero clearance has framing within inches of the box and drywall will go right over the studs. The drywall on both fireplaces went right up to the edge with tile surround.

Other than code distances for your studs, I would think the drywall is fine.

Bookmark   November 30, 2007 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
kitchengirl
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
Gas Fire Place
I have a direct vent gas fireplace with a standing...
JakeBrey
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
Semi-detached home shared flue fireplace
Hi this is my first post to this forum so forgive me...
hiddentrails
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™