Gas Log Lifespan

memphisreiNovember 17, 2010

I live in the south and we don't have cold winters but enjoy running our gas logs instead of the furnace. Each year my husband cleans our gas logs before use. This year he is out of town and left me instructions on how to clean the gas logs and light the pilot. I chickened out and decided to call our local fireplace retailer to see if they service gas logs and would do the cleaning and light the pilot. The gentleman said, how old are your logs. I explained they are 7 years old. He said in a loud voice, MY GOSH, YOU CAN'T LIGHT THOSE YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THEM IMMEDIATELY!!! I said, excuse me?? He said logs aren't meant to last that long, you have to replace them.

When we built our home 7 years ago we bought very expensive log set from this same retailer. They never said anything about needing to replace them every 5 or so years. Is this accurate or am I getting scammed?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fandlil

There are no moving parts in a gas logs system than can wear out. If you clean it periodically, depending on how often you use it, it should last a good long time. The only thing that could go wrong is some corrosion of chimney parts that are exposed to the outside. But even that should not happen so fast unless a storm damaged your chimney. Go to another gas logs dealer.

Bookmark   December 1, 2010 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
Lennox Montebello See Through?
Anyone have some first hand experience with this unit?...
niteshadepromises
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
Fireplace Placement Please Help
We are trying to make a decision to center our fireplace...
shancap
HeatnGlo Mezzo 48 or Napolean Linear LHD50
Please help guide me! We are building a new home and...
supcar1
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™