Putting fresh air intake in masonry fireplace

gam51November 30, 2010

I have a 50 year old wood burning masonry fireplace and am considering drilling a hole through the firebrick sidewall and putting in a 3" galvanized pipe. I would place this midway back at the level of the grate and the 3 inches of pipe protuding into the firebox would be threaded. When not in use (we seldom use it) a cap would go over the threaded end. The 8 foot run of pipe to the exterior would be horizontal and end in a wiremesh box about 3 foot above the ground. The wiremesh box is to keep out mice etc. Any thoughts whether this would work to cut down on interior air consumption and are there some hazzards I'm not aware of?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haus_proud

Prefabricated wood burning fireplaces often come with air intake vents of the kind you are considering installing. I would check the specs on 2 or 3 of those and see if the location and size of their air intakes give you a clue for your installation. You might also pose your question in the forum in hearth.com. That one is staffed by guys who live and breath fireplaces.

Bookmark   November 30, 2010 at 11:52PM
More Discussions
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
Jotul Kennebec
Well today is day two with my new Jotul fireplace insert...
turningpoint
Gas Fire Place
I have a direct vent gas fireplace with a standing...
JakeBrey
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
Gas fireplace- fan or no fan?
Looking at a Mendota and a Heat N Glo full view single...
ryebread2111111
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™