DIY gas fire place

docampo2010November 10, 2012

My parents bought a lot of land about 12 years ago and built a house over it. They had plans for a natural gas fireplace and had hired a laborer to build it. However, after the the fireplace was finsihed, along with the rest of the house, my father had noticed that the guy did not install a a shutoff valve, nor any kind of mechanism to lite or keep a flame going. There was only a live galvinezed steel gas line in the fireplace, capped off.

Today, after 12 years, I Want to finish that project. So, HOW DO I INSTALL A SHUT OFF VAVLE FOR THIS THAT I CAN ACCESS FROM OUTSIDE THE FIREPLACE?! by the way, the gas line is coming from inside the wall.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
southerncanuck

I see this thread is over a month old but I will tell you as I would anyone else asking a similar question, if you have to ask you simply don't.

Any combustible gas is highly volatile, and potentially fatal if not given the respect it's due.

A gas fireplace is not built by a laborer and is not a DIY project. I hope you have changed your mind and gotten a pro to look at whatever this laborer built with out a shut off valve of all things.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 1:48PM
More Discussions
Gas Fire Place
I have a direct vent gas fireplace with a standing...
JakeBrey
Gas fireplace that looks real in new build
Yes I know everyone want their gas logs to look real....
asyrp43
Jotul Kennebec
Well today is day two with my new Jotul fireplace insert...
turningpoint
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™