Online vs Local

jerzeegirlMarch 20, 2011

We just bought a house and are planning to tear out about 1,000 sf of carpet and replace it with engineered hardwood - probably white oak 3" planks (maybe quartersawn). Because we didn't see many houses with hardwood (which is what we want), right from the start we figured we would be replacing the floor of any house we bought.

There is a very reputable floor company in town and we like them very much. Their price for installing a white oak, high quality, finished floor is around $14.50 /square foot, which includes the installation (but not the moisture barrier glue which I think they said was another $1/psf (vinyl) or 50 cents psf for regular).

I can get an unfinished white oak on line for about $4.50/sf from what I think is a good lumberyard in Wisconsin. I don't know what finishing costs are but I'm guessing around $6/sf to install and finish (no staining involved). Let me know if I am all wet about this price.

There would be a significant savings to ordering online and getting a local installer to do the job.

Yet I hesitate.

Please let me know why I shouldn't do this. I am in the Sarasota area,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Floortech

Why would you not ask a local store about an on site finish. It should cost you no more in reality and you then have warranties. You are making an investment. Don't you want to be assured a return on your investment? You need to research posts on this site when you play flooring expert...It can be brutal and then it costs you triple.

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 2:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerzeegirl

I actually did ask about an on site finish and apparently it will cost roughly the same as buying the wood already finished. That made perfect sense to me. I am leaning towards using the local flooring store even if it does cost more because I like having someone close by if things go wrong, but so many people have had good luck with on line purchasing, I just thought I'd ask.

In any case, I would be using a local guy for the installation and finishing - it's just that the wood would come from a far off place (which it's coming from no matter which method I use).

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
Marble floor in a high traffic area?
I was planning to purchase marble for the floor in...
lucik77
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
Wood-flooring vs tile in home with dog
I'm remodeling my 2-story condo and replacing flooring....
LARemodel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™