Confused about converting fireplace, help

eaglemom100November 9, 2007

Boy do I have questions for everyone. I've been thinking about turning the fireplace into a either vented or ventless propane fireplace. Our neighborhood does not have lp (gas) so that is why I would have to purchase a 100 gallon propane tank.

Having said that both options scare the heck out of me!! The fireplace is on the outside wall. It is not a metal insert, but rather brick. There is an sootshoot out the bottom to the outside. I thought the propane line would just be able to go into the house that way.

So now, I need help in thinking this thing through. We really love our fireplace, the warmth, etc. A cord of wood around here is running $250 - $325.00 per cord. We do burn it - I sometimes burn it all day long as I'm home and simply like to do so. This is not our heat source for the house.

Any idea's as to what I need to do? Keep the "real" wood burning fireplace as is? Go for the propane vent gas logs? Or the ventless (which frankly scares me)? Or in reading the Overall direct Vent which I've only just read about here?

This is almost too much to figure out for me, help! Thanks all.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mildredpots

You have a brick fireplace that you "really love". You use it regularly because you "simply like to do so". You are scared of the other options....Why are you even considering this? Your wood fireplace seems to really work for you and your lifestyle. Doesn't sound like it needs to be replaced. My vote is to save your money for something you actually want!

Bookmark   November 10, 2007 at 8:53PM
More Discussions
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
Gas fireplace- fan or no fan?
Looking at a Mendota and a Heat N Glo full view single...
ryebread2111111
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™