Electric or Gas fireplace?

shelly_kNovember 13, 2009

Hi all, this is my first post here. I usually post in Building a Home as we are doing new construction.

First, I know nothing about fireplaces. That said, I've had fireplaces, and they've always been the gas kind that you turn on with a switch. To me they are just "ok". I dislike that they put out so much heat when they are on, that you have to turn it off after 20 minutes if you don't want to be sweating. I also dislike that when they are off in the winter (99% of the time), there is cold air flowing out of the vents in the bottom! I have to put a blanket there to keep the cold draft out of my family room.

So I am considering electric. However, hubby thinks they are not as desirable in a new construction home. My sister has one and I think they look great, especially if a nice surround is done. And I love that you can just have the "flames" on and no heat. I love the ambience that a fireplace gives.

What do you think? Is electric considered "dumb" in a higher end new construction home?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Macey

What you are looking for is a B-Vent gas fireplace. These gas fireplaces give you the real flame, wall switch and remote control option but with much lower heat output. Try looking at these at lennoxhearthproducts.com Look at the Crestline 36" or 42"

Bookmark   November 13, 2009 at 6:53PM
More Discussions
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
kitchengirl
Where to find high heat masonry paint for inside of fireplace
I'm having trouble finding a fire resistant or fire...
janeway452
Semi-detached home shared flue fireplace
Hi this is my first post to this forum so forgive me...
hiddentrails
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™