Can you freeze orange juice?

femmeladyFebruary 11, 2008

Our small local grocer currently has delicious sweet blood oranges, and I was thinking of juicing and saving some for later. Is this doable or does it ruin it?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Of course....my SIL in AZ does it all the time with lemon juice....why not oranges?
Lidna C

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 3:19PM
mustangs81

All the juice in Central Florida was frozen last month when the temps dropped to 29 degrees. LOL

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 3:39PM
    Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 3:40PM
femmelady

Thanks! I shall get out my juicer and buy out my grocer! I'm picturing drizzling blood orange juice (oh, that color!) over my summer fresh aqueezed margaritas! Deb thanks for the link. What a great idea!

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 3:48PM
Terrapots

I froze some orange juice some time ago and when thawed it separated, wasn't pretty. Maybe that's why frozen OJ is reconstituted with water. Drank it anyway.

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 5:50PM
beanthere_dunthat

Where I grew up there was a old-style drug store (with lunch counter) owned by a man whose brother used to bring him truckloads of oranges and lemons from FL. They would squeeze and freeze, then use the frozen to make their lemonade and orangeade the rest of the year. (And man it was deeelicccious!)

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 10:28PM
dixiedog_2007

I freeze lots of juice from fresh picked fruits and from fruit in the store. I go apple picking every year (2 or three times) and make lots of juice from the ones that are not what I want for baking or eating out of hand. Great for recipes that call for apple juice. Orange juice would be no different.

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 10:40PM
velodoug

When we were kids our mother made us ice pops with reconstituted frozen orange juice. i can't imagine it wouldn't also work with fresh juice. If the juice separates when it's thawed, I'd give it a quick whiz in the blender which both mixes and aerates it. That's how DW an I improved the taste of store brand frozen OJ in our early days.

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 1:38PM
hawk307

Femmelady:
They sell frozen Orange Juice in the Markets ???
Lou

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 2:48PM
dixiedog_2007

Lou you are too funny! Femme, if you are looking to juice for drinking, then it will take quite a few oranges to make enough juice for a glass full and that can get costly. But if using to just add to dishes or baking, etc., then you will be fine.

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 3:29PM
cat_mom

Don't know about fresh, but I always keep a 1/2 gal container or two of Tropicana OJ in the freezer (I try to pick it up when it's on sale). I take a container out to defrost (in the sink or in the fridge), and keep it in the fridge for use when it's defrosted.

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 9:52PM
femmelady

These are BLOOD oranges! lovely lovely blood oranges - to be drizzled into summer margaritas!

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 10:04PM
beanthere_dunthat

Come to think of it, I'd probably try to make a blood orange liquor or syrup if they are that cheap.

Bookmark   February 13, 2008 at 1:28AM
More Discussions
How to Buy Pistachios for a Recipe
I'm planning on trying a recipe I found on Food.com...
Cassandra
Food for sore mouths..
I just had a tooth extracted - and I have a very sore...
agmss15
What happened to my soup?
Made a homemade chicken soup....carrots, onion, celery,...
lookintomyeyes83
Need side dish idea and thoughts on dessert
I have been asked to bring a side dish for Easter -...
susan_in_nc
As Seen on Food Fortunes -- Can you measure flour?
Have you seen this show? Shark Tank for the comestibles...
plllog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™