Leather sofa: reupholster just seat cushions/evaluating springs?

flseadogMay 20, 2009

We have a Classic leather sofa that is more than 30 years old. The seat cushions are cracked and ripped in a few places but the rest of the leather is fine although it does show some wear, especially on the arms. I wanted to get a new sofa but the entire family has threatened to disown me if I do so since they all say it is the most comfortable thing they've ever sat in and is perfect for naps. Has anyone just reupholstered the seat cushions? If so how does it look? Did you try to match the leather or did you get a coordinating fabric? Ours cushion covers are removable from the sofa and zip off of the inner padding.

Also, if I'm going to keep the sofa I'd like to fix anything else that may be wrong. Is there a way to tell if sofa springs need to be worked on? (I don't even know what the term for it is). They don't squeak and the sofa really doesn't seem to sag so I don't know what other criteria I could use to evaluate the springs. It's just that the sofa is so old it seems like some sort of tune up would be necessary.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thecollector

It's possible to do, but to 'restore' this to its original state will cost you more than an all-new piece. At 30 years, you got your money's worth and that sofa is at the end of its useful life for practical purposes. Re-leathering a sofa is not inexpensive to do, and matches to the hides will be very difficult.

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 3:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flseadog

Thanks, collector. I'm not hoping to restore the sofa to its original state but just to make it less unsightly. The plan---well my plan but not DH's---is to refurbish it and move it into his office. Then I'll get a new one for my family room. Anyone who wants to take a nap can snore in the office.

We definitely got our money's worth already but when I was in a very high end furniture store recently looking for a replacement the salesman advised me to hang on to this one even if I completely reupholstered in fabric. In his opinion new sofas were not being made as well as the old ones. Also, DH just won't give it up so I have to do something to make the best of it so I don't go nuts every time I look at it.

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Living Room Furniture Recomendations
What brands of living room furniture compare to Durham...
tiffany2009
Quality Outdoor Furniture Brands/Materials?
I am looking to buy an outdoor dining set, chaise loungers...
wendage2
Tolix for outdoors?
Does anyone have experience using Tolix chairs outdoors?...
Chris 802
What experience have you had with Nantuckit Furniture?
Hi! I am thinking about purchasing a slipcovered sectional...
jfkdeb
Horchow new chairs
Anybody knows the manufacturer of these chairs? Where...
inna0410
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™