Worthless new stuff

stoveguyyJuly 11, 2012

My soon to be ex has boxes of unopened, never used cosmetics. Does anyone have 400 bottles of nail polish? We have a 10x 12 closet with boxes piled 6 ft deep. Some used, mostly new. I assign value by weight, not quantity. If I have trouble easily lifting a box, I assume it's worth a lot. We are beyond individual counting. Could we donate them to a non- profit?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Your local Goodwill will probably take them and give you a receipt and have you assign the value.

I would value them somewhere around 50 cents to $1 per bottle. Take photos of them before they leave your house, just in case you get audited.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 7:02PM
marie_ndcal

You could also contact the Domestic Violence group in your area. It would help those women and young girls feel so much better. Also some churches have supplies to give either the homeless or low income people. I just donated a bunch of small soap/toothbrushes etc to my local church.
Also some youth group homes might take some.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 10:27PM
jannie

I agree, a women's shelter seems the best place for cosmetic items. I used to sell Avon, and I had loads of "samples", you know, tiny lipsticks, single-use blush, shampoos,etc. I kept them in a box long after I stopped selling Avon. (Not a good thing for me, I'm not real friendly and don't have a huge network of friends to buy Avon, plus Avon constantly hasseled me to meet bigger and bigger goals.) I gave the box to a local women's shelter. The rep I handed it to was very happy, she said women and kids in shelters don't have a lot of "luxury" and beauty items, they even ask for donations of bath soap and kleenex. I felt so good about donating the Avon I even wrote the group a small donation check! Win-Win.

Bookmark   July 12, 2012 at 8:15AM
peegee

First time checking out this forum....be aware that not all shelters, etc, may want or even be allowed to accept opened/used items - check first!

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 11:12AM
peegee

Oops, sorry, meant to say first time in a long time.....

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 10:14PM
raee_gw

If nothing else, put them on craigslist( if you have it where you are) in the free section for curb pick up. They are worth something to someone.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 1:25PM
jannie

Cavell said the cosmetics were unopened,unused. The Avon samples I donated were also sealed. I would never donate anything open or used. Cosmetics begin to degrade as soon as they're exposed to air, plus I'd worry about possible "tampering" if I bought or sold open stuff.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
How would I sell fur coats?
Let me say, first, please donÂt bash me for having...
linnea56
Home Loan advise? Remodel and Addition
I am looking into a renovation/remodel of my current...
allieundercover
Tiny pension - Taking lump sum or monthly annuity payment
I just received a notice from a previous employer asking...
azmom
Any advice for a lady whose husband hides $?
I am a widow and used to doing for myself. I have a...
topsiebeezelbub
Ontario - Canadian law question
Hi: I am hoping I can find someone on the forum who...
mistopheles52
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™