Pine floor redo

pieinskyMarch 17, 2009

We purchased a 1920 story and half in south Texas for our retirement place. It has nice pine floors throughout but they need some care. An old wall to wall carpet was covering the floors for no telling how long, but prior to the carpet someone didn't protect the floors when they painted. There is a fine mist of white paint everywhere. This is the only floors in the house. No sub floor--just 7/8" old pine floors. They appear to have a stain on them and that's all. No gloss finish or heavy build up---just paint everywhere. Any suggestions on getting the paint up or is it time for a sand job? We really wanted the floors to have their original patina, minus the paint. If we need to sand them down completely we might as well install new wood over the pine for better floor insulation

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
harmon_2008

Rent a Electric Sander and sand the floors until even. Be careful not to go too deep or it will ruin the wood. You can stain the floors or just put a Poly type vanish on them. They will only have to be mopped or dusted, not waxed.

for refinishing floor check this site
http://www.ehow.com/how_4779357_refinish-pine-flooring.html

ciciliotandson

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 6:10AM
More Discussions
Suggestions for Beach House Flooring
Building a 2500 SF house and 500 SF carriage house...
cobbyw
LVT or Tile
I am trying to decide what to replace my carpet in...
hlariscy
Has anyone purchased from value floors direct?
Has anyone purchased flooring from value floors direct? I...
willintotry
Tile over fiberglass?
Long story short, we added some porches to our new...
Nick Anderson
Handscraped hardwood -- will it become dated?
So we are in the process of building a new home. We...
carsonheim
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™