Confused about height of chimmney needed for outdoor fireplace?

caribbeancupcakeNovember 14, 2009

Hello from St. John,

Dear Experts?

I have been trying to educate myself as to the chimney

requirements for an outdoor fireplace. Looking at online pictures they all seem very high? This fireplace is only for ambiance. It is the focal point of an outdoor livingroom. I will be burning gas propane logs or glass crystals or stones. The concrete contractor has never built a masonary fireplace al la Virgin Islands never goes below 70 degrees. The design I have in mind would be a height of about 6 feet 24" above the slab for the opening. The roof will be at ten feet on the perimeter and peak at 16' with tongue and goove cedar and a metal roof. The building inspector has no experience with fireplaces either. I want to have a basic drawing wihch I can take to apply for the permit. Any and all advice is appreciated. Would ventless be an option? Thanks, in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Macey

The general rule is if the fireplace is located attached to or less than 10 feet from the house, it needs to meet the standard 2-10 chimney rule. Which tyically will mean the fireplace and chimney will be at least 16 feet tall on a single story home.

If your fireplace is greater than 10 feet from the house, there really isn't a minimum but most are built around 7- 8 feet tall.

Try looking at this site for outdoor fireplace information. www.lennoxhearthproducts.com Search for outdoor fireplaces. They make ventless gas and wood burning outdoor models. You will find the 2-10 cihmney rule in the installation manuals.

Bookmark   November 15, 2009 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
Power for Fan
So I have a very nice Martin sc36 gas fireplace that...
ACwannaBe
Semi-detached home shared flue fireplace
Hi this is my first post to this forum so forgive me...
hiddentrails
Fireplace Options?
Looking to put a wood burning fireplace in our new...
rmverb
Non-angled corner fireplace?
How would you describe this fireplace? I've been trying...
fenix409
do you recognize this stacked stone?
I would like to install stacked stone and found this...
rosebay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™