fireplace remodel

carp5grNovember 7, 2009

We have a brick fireplace (just bought this house) and are going to add a mantel with tile around the opening. Fot the bricks outside

of mantel, I would love to make it look like a wall and put a coat of plaster on it and then paint it. The bricks have been painted. Is this possible without using drywall and if so, what products should I use? I should add that we really don't want to make the fireplace look any bigger since it is 7' across and in a medium sized room...

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ventupete

A good plasterer can do it, although they will need at least two coats. Not a DIY project as it's very hard to end up with a smooth level surface - anything less than that will look bad when the light hits it. Drywall attached with the proper construction adhesive is the simplest and cheapest way to do it. If you use 1/2" drywall and adhesive it won't stick out much more than a few coats of plaster would.

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 8:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carp5gr

Actually, I have done some plastering. The walls have some texture, skip troweled, and since I pay extreme attention to detail, I will probably try it my self...and the friend we bought the mantel is a contractor and has give us some helpful hints...

Bookmark   November 12, 2009 at 10:29AM
More Discussions
Linear Fireplace
Can I put a 60 inch linear fireplace in place of this...
kjez2010
best way to clean a brick hearth?
i have tried washing the brick, but it still looks...
bmmalone
Semi-detached home shared flue fireplace
Hi this is my first post to this forum so forgive me...
hiddentrails
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
kitchengirl
Gas Fire Place
I have a direct vent gas fireplace with a standing...
JakeBrey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™