2-Way Inserts Available?

gregindallasNovember 26, 2006

With soaring heating costs, I'm interested in finding a 2-way fireplace insert -- ie. it would have a door on each side (since the current fireplace I have is double sided - from my family and living room. Does anyone know who makes something that would have two doors, or is this just not possible? Thanks much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chiroptera_mama

Yes! We have one, it's called the Oracle by RSF (Canadian company). We love it. We have used it a couple of times this fall and it has provided a nice heat for the 2 story living room and large kitchen it sits between - and the house isn't even finished yet!

Here is a link that might be useful: check out the Oracle here

Bookmark   December 8, 2006 at 2:20PM
Xanndra

The Oracle is not what the OP wants. He wants an insert for an existing 2-sided open fireplace, which as far as I know does not exist.

Bookmark   December 10, 2006 at 4:03PM
dave_c

greg, xanndra is correct.

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/QA_Templates/info/294/

However, that is not to say that it cannot be done. If you know a GOOD metal fabricator, are willing to pay thru the nose for its construction, are not subject to EPA phase 2 restrictions where you plan to burn the insert, & have the approval of your mortgage & insurance companies, then the answer is yes.
And please post some pics of it in operation.
Thanks

Bookmark   December 11, 2006 at 9:33PM
granny99

hi greg,
did you ever find a gas insert for your double fireplace?
thanks,
marilyn

Bookmark   March 27, 2007 at 11:28AM
ifsandbuts

This is an old thread, but just wondering if anyone has found a two-way insert. We are looking at buying a house with an existing double-sided fireplace with gas logs between the family room and living room. It looks great, but I am concerned about heat loss. The fireplace inspector had recently installed a double-sided ventless log set in another home, which he recommended, but I am leery of ventfree products in general. I would love to find a way to make it direct-vent gas. (Prefer not wood burning-I find it messy, smelly and a hassle.) Any other options?

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 11:30PM
More Discussions
Gas fireplace- fan or no fan?
Looking at a Mendota and a Heat N Glo full view single...
ryebread2111111
do you recognize this stacked stone?
I would like to install stacked stone and found this...
rosebay
Linear Fireplace
Can I put a 60 inch linear fireplace in place of this...
kjez2010
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™