how to identify Duncan Phyfe side table.

marilyn03May 5, 2009

I have a small round side table with a tilt top. Because of the brass claw feet I have been told it is a Duncan Phyfe. I have tried to find info on this and have found similar pieces, but none with a four leg pedestal. Could you tell me if there are any markings to look for that would confirm it's maker. I know it is at least 50 years old as it was my mother-in-laws, and she had it when my husband was a child.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thecollector

Duncan Phyfe was a fine New York Cabinentmaker that made pieces in the early to mid 1800's. Many folks refer to furniture as 'Duncan Phyfe' but it should be called "Sheraton" or even "Directore" for the period.

Have photos? I can probably identify the period style for you. I can pretty much guarantee its not an original Duncan Phyfe! The maker will be not so easy unless there are markings or brands under the top.

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 12:56PM
justfired_comcast_net

can you tell me if this is a duncan phyfe tray tables they need refinishing to the top everything seems original on them bought at estate sale for 20.00 for pair thanks

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 2:44PM
janiecook_embarqmail_com

Hello I have a Duncan Phyfe coffee table. I have been told that the legs are duncan phyfe but the table top is not has been replace with hardware that is not of that era. Its a beautiful piece. I have no idea what the value of this piece is. Can you help? Thanks

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 4:44PM
dgclark144

Can you tell me if this is a Duncan Phyfe? It was handed down & I doubt it but not sure how to tell?

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
Need suggestions to soften my recliner
I bought a recliner from China, construction is fine...
biax
Hancock & Moore older leather chair, maybe H&M sofa,can they be saved?
I have an opportunity to pick up this chair and sofa...
aesanford
looking for Marge Carson Used Pieces
Hi there, I am looking to buy used Marge Carson Furniture. Kindly, Barb...
iluvcarats
Online slipcover companies
Need to re-slipcover our Arhaus Greta sectional, and...
kardut
How to add under bed storage?
I love our bed, especially the headboard. Sadly our...
fuzzypawsnewpad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™