Pellet Thermostat or Not????

jeechazNovember 25, 2005

I put my new pellet stove on a thermostat. I was told that a should just leave it on low and take it off the thermostat and let it burn non-stop to avoid shut down and restarts. Is this less wear and tear on the stove or more?? Is this just a waste of pellets? Which way is better???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jac2086

My opinion is - Turn it on and let it go. Shut it down for cleaning. A hot stove is doing it's job and a cold is not.

Bookmark   November 25, 2005 at 11:00AM
begreen1

It depends on the stove design. My stove (Quadrafire) is designed to run off a thermostat. We have it on a digital one with night temp setback and love it. On the thermostat the stove will run for a few hours in the morning until the house is up to temp. Then it cycles on every couple hours to keep it warm.

Bookmark   November 25, 2005 at 4:02PM
begreen1

Sorry, forgot to answer all the questions. Cycling via will definitely end up in less running hours for exhaust, blower and auger motors. That's less wear and less electricity consumed.

Bookmark   November 25, 2005 at 4:06PM
brad_brown2

I have a Quadrafire, and they only work with a thermostat - you can't use them without one. I absolutely love the thermostat feature! It came with a cheapie little Lux brand thermostat, but I replaced it with a digital programmable one from Lowes - cost about $20. I have it set back a little at night time and during the day when we're not there - so the stove doesn't burn quite as much.

It's awesome - the stove turns itself on & off as needed - all I do is clean out the burnpot once a day and clean the glass, and add pellets. Takes about 5 minutes a day or less.

Bookmark   November 29, 2005 at 1:14PM
tammyest

Is it difficult to install the thermostat? Is it a lot of opening up the wall to install wires?

Do you like your quadra? Is it a MtVernon or other model? My husband and I are looking at a Mt. Vernon but it has gotten a lot of bad reviews.
Opinion?
Tammyest

Bookmark   May 25, 2008 at 10:29AM
More Discussions
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
Lennox Montebello See Through?
Anyone have some first hand experience with this unit?...
niteshadepromises
Gas Fireplace question
We recently bought a second home, and it has a gas...
grapefruit1_ar
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
Putting television IN firebox of fireplace
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've searched...
sherrgr
Sponsored Products
Rafting Pearl 17" Square Seamed Pellet Hassock Pouf
Overstock.com
Fireplace Vacuum Cleaner
$129.00 | FRONTGATE
Shag Plush Furniture Bean Bag
Overstock.com
LuxPro 'PSD010B' Digital 2-wire Heat Only Thermostat
Overstock.com
Flavorwood Multi-flavor Grilling Smoke (Pack of 6)
Overstock.com
Ash Vacuum with Double Filter System
$274.95 | FRONTGATE
Bumat Elite Filament
$38.00 | FRONTGATE
Gold Medal Medium Microfiber Suede Bean Bag
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™