Wood stove questions please read!

fivelinksNovember 19, 2007

We just bought a non cat Vermont Castings Encore model wood stove. Its EVERBURN system is supposed to be superior and they claim an air wash system keeps the glass clean. We used it the first day and the glass doors were black. Am I doing something wrong? To make the everburn system work the damper door must be shut and a side valve can be opened various degrees to allow air into the stove from the home. The only time the damper is open is when you are starting the fire or adding wood. We are burning well seasoned wood so green wood is not the problem for the smokey doors. Also there is a faint smell of smoke every so often so I am wondering if I have a venting issue too. Someone please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cearbhaill

Usually when the glass blacks up like that it means you didn't let the wood burn hot enough long enough before you damped it down.

Start the fire with kindling and the damper open. Add some smaller splits and let the fire get going really well- this takes 10-15 minutes or so and the damper is still open. Then add your large splits and again wait 15 minutes or so to let the fire get hot enough.
Then damp it down and enjoy your Everburn system.

Black on the door means black in your chimney and no one wants that. A thermometer on the stove can help you learn to judge temperatures and lessen your risks of forming creosote or overfiring your stove. Ebay or any stove store has the thermometers- they are magnetic and just stick on the front. $15 or so.

Bookmark   November 19, 2007 at 11:22AM
More Discussions
Indoor/Outdoor Fireplace
Does anyone own an indoor/outdoor dual sided fireplace?...
rebph
Lennox Montebello See Through?
Anyone have some first hand experience with this unit?...
niteshadepromises
Gas Fireplace question
We recently bought a second home, and it has a gas...
grapefruit1_ar
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
Sponsored Products
American Fyre Designs Large Firefall - 691-CB-12-V4PC-NAT
Hayneedle
Blue Better Batter Tool
$8.99 | zulily
Euro Spoon Rest
$9.99 | zulily
Dimplex Convex Wall Mount Electric Fireplace - VCX1525
$549.99 | Hayneedle
Chili Pepper Red Silicone Fork
$7.99 | zulily