Painter's tape tips?

mandyjuneJuly 30, 2010

Hello everyone! So I have a dilemma...We are currently painting the interior of our house right now and one of the more costly things, surprisingly, is the tape that we need to use to cover the wall edges and moldings, etc..aka Painter's tape.

There's this blue Scotch tape that works REALLY well but can cost up to $6 a roll! I know that may not seem like a lot if you're only painting one or two rooms but we've gotta paint every single room in our house and one roll isn't even sufficient enough for one room.

Does anyone have any other brands they can recommend that might not cost as much or any other alternative in general for taping while painting? Any tips are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl

An experienced/professional painter has no problem cutting in 99% of a room without tape or other gadgets. All it takes is a steady hand and lots of practice.

If you don't want to use tape, and you aren't a very good painter, you can always use some sort of screen. They sell paint guards that you just put up against the edge, paint, and then move. Of course, that is a lot more time consuming than taping, so most people spring for the rolls of tape.

If you are doing a lot of rooms, you might want to buy it by the box. Actual paint stores sell in bulk for much less than $6/roll.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 2:43PM
mandyjune

hahah well if you saw how I paint, you'd really see how far away on the spectrum I am from being a professional painter. I'll definitely check out the screens that you were recommending.

Also, it's a great idea to buy the rolls in bulk. Didn't even think of that before so I'll check out some specialty paint stores. Trying to do home renovations on a budget ya know? Thanks for your response. I really appreciate it, Bill.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 5:16PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

I haven't tried the new painters tape that is supposed to create a clean edge, but the one time I used 'regular' blue painter's tape, I was sadly disappointed.

I have found that using an artist brush is the best thing (for me anyway) when cutting in. They are quite cheap, even with shipping, from some sellers on Ebay. Be sure and check the shipping costs before bidding, or doing a 'Buy it Now' offer. You might also check into buying them at a craft or variety store.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Artist brushes on Ebay

Bookmark   July 31, 2010 at 7:39AM
adellabedella_usa

It's easier to cut in if you will keep your brush sort of dry without a lot of drippy paint.

I've found that I have better results if I use like wider painters tape 2-3" instead of the 1" kind.

To get a straighter line between the ceiling and the walls, some people put the tape about 1/4" down on the wall instead of trying to get the tape exactly in that crack between the ceiling and the wall. If you are going to paint the ceiling, you do that before you paint the wall. You won't need tape for that part.

Bookmark   July 31, 2010 at 12:07PM
Billl

If you are using tape, the "trick" to a clean line is to put a very light coat on for the first pass. That will seal the joint without much bleed through. On the second coat, you can put it on heavier.

Also, if you are completely redoing a room, you can pre-paint all the molding before you install it. That takes away 75% of the taping. All you have to do is fill nail holes and then touch up those spots. I find that especially helpful for crown.

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 9:31AM
mandyjune

Great! Thanks for all the tips guys! So since we've resorted to no longer using tape, I just have to "paint carefully" now according to my boyfriend.

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 6:24PM
maifleur01

When you manage not to "paint carefully", which will happen, just hand the paint brush to him with a smile and tell him it is his turn to "paint carefully"

Years from now you may be able to laugh about it.

Bookmark   August 3, 2010 at 8:56PM
terriks

You might want to post this in the Paint forum

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 6:55PM
More Discussions
Just because you pay your bills on time.....
doesn't guarantee you have good credit The "Paying...
myfask
help!!! advice needed asap for 2nd mortgage
I need to take out $30,000 in equity for desperately...
nene45
I NEED to vent!
I am so UPSET Just received a notice from my credit...
KarenPA_6b
Refinance with Bank of America taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R
We started the process for our refinance April 25th...
wickedgrace
Ontario - Canadian law question
Hi: I am hoping I can find someone on the forum who...
mistopheles52
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™