Related to fireplace...but question concerns firewood. splitting.

rotdogNovember 27, 2010

I need information relating parts for a FLOWTRON HS500 wood splitter. Looked but I cannot find a forum about wood splitting, firewood. Any suggestions?

Wood is being fed to a soapstone heritage fireplace,

http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/wood-stoves/stove-details?product_id=3

new fall 2009. I am not sure I would repeat the purchase. A high quality cast iron may be a better trade off with costs/ outcomes. My wife like the stove, not so, much for me.)

rotdog308

Here is a link that might be useful: soapstone heritage fireplace

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glenncz

I can't help you on that model, except to say I bought a cheap log splitter once and it wasn't worthwhile. But I use this big heavy maul and it works wonderfully! I can split notty wood with it and it gives a good workout. Probably need one even if you have a splitter for odd pieces. Better off to get one at hardware store for no shipping charge. Search Truper Axe, 12lb, on Amazon.

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 8:41PM
Olychick

I am a 62 year old widow who had to learn to split wood after my husband died 16 years ago. He'd always done it; I'd never picked up the maul, but I'd gone with him to down and buck up trees (he was a professional forester) and knew a lot about heating with wood and wood cutting/storing/stacking theory from watching him. After he died, I replaced his McCullough chainsaw that I couldn't start with an easier to manage Stihl. I had to order firewood, but one time I was able to salvage a downed huge fir tree near my home that had been bucked up by the utility company to move it off the road where it had fallen. I tried and tried to split it, but couldn't make a dent. I had some wood delivered shortly after and explained my dilemma to the wood guy. He took the time to show me how to split it: making sure it was right side up, looking for the natural cracks and hitting it on the edge of the rounds on one of those cracks; splitting it when it was green and full of moisture (not true for every species). I had to have the maul handle replace with fiberglass from all the bad hits, but I slowly figured out how to do it and now split all my own wood with a maul and sometimes a wedge and have for the last 16 years. Don't need no stinkin' wood splitter. :-D (I heat almost exclusively with wood and harvest trees sometimes from my own property). I figure if I can split firewood, anyone can. Maple is more difficult, but I can still do it...so can you!

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 1:07AM
christopherh

My splitter died about 10 years ago and I never replaced it. But I see all these HUGE splitters lined up at Home Desperado that'll split a 30 inch tree! 50 tons! 100 tons! 8 gazillion tons! Horizontal/vertical/upside down splitting! WOW! Do they have cup holders too?

My splitter was a 7 ton unit powered by a lawnmower engine. It died after almost 20 years of use, but it split everything I put in it just the same as these "Impress the neighbor McSplitters" you see today.

Being the same age as olychick, I use a maul. One shot and it's split. On to the next one.

We too use wood as out main source of heat here in Vermont and nobody really uses a splitter up here. Wood dealers are plentiful so it comes already split, but sometimes we want some smaller pieces to start the fire. So BAM! I take out the maul. Especially when we fell some trees on the property. And yes, green wood splits much easier. I cut some trees down this fall and split them for next year.

HOWEVER.... I tried to Google Flowtron splitters and found this video using one. In the amount of time that thing takes to split one log, I could split a dozen pieces.

The video is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: FLOWTRON SPLITTER

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 8:08AM
davej_07

Check out www.arboristsite.com and look under the firewood forum. LOTS of great information there.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Arboristsite.com

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround
My rock wall fireplace looks dingy from 50 years of...
pompeii
Napoleon Fireplaces - Be Careful
I purchased an expensive Napoleon fireplace last summer,...
joc6820
Fireglass getting discolored
I have a vented fireplace that can burn wood or gas....
anjn
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Lennox Montebello See Through?
Anyone have some first hand experience with this unit?...
niteshadepromises
Sponsored Products
Domus Ventures Dallas Patio Dining Set - Seats 4 - 238HN
$999.99 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Lima Soft Blue 2 ft. x
Home Depot
Mario Console - BURL WOOD
$5,399.00 | Horchow
Modern Wood & Stainless Steel Robb Media Cabinet - Walnut
Zuri Furniture
Soho Double Wall Sconce
Lightology