Is 'golden oak' red, or white, oak?

dab07May 8, 2009

My brother has what I think is a Victorian era living room cabinet with a damaged top he'd like me to replace. It might be a reproduction, I haven't seen it. In any case, he's not concerned with maintaining its value, he just wants the color of the new top to match the rest of the cabinet. I need to know whether to use red oak or white oak.

He says it's "golden oak." Would that most likely be red or white oak?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jrdwyer

Unstained oak with a golden or beige/light brown tone using an oil based finish means white oak. An orange/amber tone means red oak. Again, this is for unstained wood.

White oak generally has softer texture/tighter grain (annual rings closer together) than red oak. Also, white oak lumber is generally more uniform in color (light brown-beige heartwood), whereas red oak has more variation between boards with pink, amber, straw, and light brown tones.

If you can look at the end grain of unfinished wood with a magnifying glass, white oak (Quercus alba) was little plugs in the cells called tyloses, whereas red oak does not. This makes white oak water tight for barrels. This does not apply to the white oaks species from Europe.

For new USA sold furniture, throw all of this information out the window. Rules allow the use of a "golden oak" finish description on any wood you want. Let the Buyer beware!

Bookmark   May 9, 2009 at 1:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pauldowns

"Golden Oak" could be either - it's commonly used to refer to a color of wood, not a species. It can be hard to tell the difference between the two woods, but if you post a picture, close up and in focus, of the wood I could tell you which it is.

Paul Downs

Bookmark   May 9, 2009 at 3:42PM
More Discussions
Quality Patio Furniture Manufacturer/Type Recommendations
Building new home with outdoor living/patio area. ...
Karen Redding
need help with living room furniture placements
Hi, I have this living room 16.5 by 21.5 and the fireplace...
missbaggy
Recommendation for high-end modern Asian furniture?
Aside from Berkeley Mills in Berkeley, CA, does anyone...
Cam Chan
Room&Board Cruz Chaise Lounge Cushion help
I would be forever grateful If anyone has a Cruz chaise...
missmaggs
Omnia leather furniture
We have seen a sofa by Omnia that we like - for around...
Susijo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™