Engineered Flooring

juno_barksMarch 27, 2014

I will be placing new flooring through my kitchen, LR (K and LR will be continuous once we get the wall out of the way), hallway, and two additional adjoining rooms. Because of our timing, and their reported increased stability, we are mostly looking at engineered floors.
I find myself most attracted to matte finished flooring, we need cool colors to go with our kitchen scheme, and especially those floors with rough wood texture (NOT hand scraped, but the ones where the fibers of the wood can be felt if you run your hand across them). The sales people assure me that they will last 25 yrs, but I am skeptical. I have read about the thickness of the top layer, the manner in which that layer is cut from the wood, and the durability of aluminum oxide coatings, but not so much about the textures. It also seems that there are so many different manufacturers, its been difficult to track down the ones people have listed on this forum as dependable quality ( Owens Plankfloor, Canterbury Signature Engineered, Real Wood Floors engineered ).

Is there anyone out there with experience with this sort of floor? I have teenage kids with one foot out the door, and a large but gentle dog. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

Any wood floor, except maybe acrylic impregnated and some jungle wood, will dent...expect it. Most quality consumer grade wood flooring will outlast you. Question is: what will the manufacturer consider "not to have lasted 25 years?" Flooring warranties are very limited documents, so read them and consider them with a grain of salt.

Grit and moisture are anathema to wood floors. Keeping them swept clean and wiping up spills goes a long way to help get good long service from wood floors. Also, protecting the floor from scratches by installing the right floor protectors on all furniture pieces is also a plus. And...keep the dog's nails trimmed.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 7:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Laurie

glen summed it up wisely.

We went with Lauzon 5 years ago and have been happy.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
Reviews : Brazilian direct - http://www.brazilianhardwood.com/ -
Did any one purchase solid hardwood from Brazilian...
luxman
Install carpet over laminate flooring?
I am buying a house that has laminate wood flooring...
rlb4
Any experience with BellaCera hardwood flooring and/or hickory wood?
We fell in love with a hickory hardwood in their line,...
happyallison
Carpet on concrete..what is proper installation?
Want to install carpeting on cement slab foundation,...
slc2053
Hallmark Hardwoods Historic Walnut Alta vista collection
Has anyone installed Hallmark Hardwoods Historic Walnut...
lotsofkids
Sponsored Products
Blockbuster´┐Ż Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Any Day Matinee - Theater Ar
$255.95 | Bellacor
Fo Floor Mat
Grandin Road
Lite Source Avington Steel Reading Light Torchiere Lamp
Lamps Plus
Ava Rug 10' x 14' - SAGE
Horchow
Quoizel Stanley Traditional Floor Lamp
1800Lighting
Lilac Bold Stripe Ovo Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Hand-woven Chaitali Border Natural Fiber Jute Rugs (2' x 3') (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Couristan Bromley Pinnacle Area Rug - 43150102020311T
$82.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™