Liner options

jimmannNovember 27, 2007

I have a 1940's brick fireplace that I would like to use to burn wood. I have been told I need to install a liner, which I plan to do for saftey reasons. However, all the local fireplace companies say that I also need to install an insert. I am trying to maintain the original look of the fireplace and do not want to use an insert. I understand the benefits of an insert but I don't like the look of what I have seen so far.

My question is how do you connect an insert to the existing fire box? If not done properly, I can see how this could be very dangerous. Especially if the fire or smoke got behind the liner. So, what are my options if any?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nhyankee

You can reline it and use the open fireplace but it's much more expensive. A poured liner might help in that case, but again they're costly as well.

There are many fireplace inserts which look more like a fireplace than a stove, Fireplace Xtrordinair, the Quadra-Fire 7100fp, and Lopi Declaration come are in that mix. The Hampton HI300 has a look between a stove and a fireplace. One of the newer brands on the market, Nestor Martin, has two inserts which look really nice, very clean modern lines.

As far as connecting the insert to the firebox, it would depend on the size of your chimney and any necessary clearances to the mantle and sidewalls but you basically slide it in. The liner connects to the flue collar of the stove. The fire and smoke are contained in the insert and exhaust out the liner to the top of the chimney.

There is another option you could check out which are the Bellfires masonry fireplaces. Something like this would allow you to re-line the chimney and fix the fireplace. Check around with local chimney sweeps and stove shops for an installer familiar with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellfires retrofit

Bookmark   November 27, 2007 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
pooper
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™