Installing self-stick vinyl tiles over old linoleum

paintergal92March 10, 2008

I just purchased 12" vinyl self-stick tiles for our kitchen. Currently, our 1930's house has carpet in the kitchen that I need to remove. Under that is two layers of linoleum. Since this is old linoleum, I am assuming that it is made with asbestos so I don't want to remove it, but install over it.

My question, the gal at Lowe's where I purchased the tiles, said to scuff the linoleum to create a better adhesion for the tiles. I did some research online and read to NOT sand old linoleum due to the asbestos.

The tiles need a smooth surface and I'm a little nervous about how to achieve this.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floorguy

LOL! There is more to it then that!!!

Lets not get linoleum, confused with asbestos sheet vinyl. Lino, never had and neved did have asbestos. Now sheet vinyl was made with asbestos. You can remove it by keeping things wet, so no dust is created. Some States do not let you abate asbestos. California, being the main one, with very high fines.

ARDEX has a produce to encapsulate and emboss the sheet vinyl before you prime for the self stick tiles.

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 12:55PM
paintergal92

Well, I am obviously very illiterate in terms of flooring! I am going from the assumption that this floor under the carpet has asbestos in it. I really don't know for sure and I don't know if it's vinyl or linoleum. I just assumed it's lino, because of the age of the house.
So this Ardex is a product I can use to cover the old floor? The gal at Lowe's told me I shouldn't use a primer over vinyl. Color me confused!

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 1:21PM
floorguy

Your not suppose to go straight over the vinyl. Plasticizer migration of the existing plastic top layer of sheet vinyl, with mess with the adhesive. Your suppose to emboss the surface of the vinyl, with a product made just for that, Like Ardex SD-F Feather finish. All self stick tiles require a primer, that is part of the system.

As soon as you start listening and believeing the help at the big box stores like Lowe's and Home Depot, your on your way to failure.

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
Best flooring for dog who doesn't 'hold it'
Hello Everyone- I am moving into a new house. The house...
krylander
Inexpensive laminate for apt. over a detached garage?
I'm shopping for a laminate for this space, my contactor...
happyallison
farm house Floors
Hello everyone. I live in a old farmhouse in new england....
jennybog
Bamboo flooring from LL bad odor
I purchased morning star bamboo strand click flooring...
rg100
What is the size of your longest hardwood floor boards?
What ranges are the sizes of your hard wood floor boards...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™