Need help with Fireplace/ gas starter.

rysoxNovember 21, 2007

Ive never owned a fireplace before moving into my latest address. It has an older fireplace, vented thru a chimney and what also looks like a damper/vent on the side of house.

It has a gas starter I believe, which is turned on and off by a key type tool. There is no standing pilot light. The damper is closed. and there is a vent thats opens and closes into the living space.

I havent tried to use it yet, I just vacuumed out the old owners mess from inside.

How do I use such a fireplace? And I am concerned about its safety since it has a gas starter. Please advise.

also,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jca1

This would be a wood burning fireplace with a gas starter used to start the wood fire. Place the wood on the grate first, then get you one of those long handle butane lighters. Ignite the butane lighter, hold the flame even with the flame ports on the gas starter and turn the key. Once the wood starts burning turn the key off. I assume this fireplace has doors of some kind and the vent into the house is for air into the fireplace. The damper needs to be fully opened before you start the wood. This is a basic example and one would really need to see your application before given exact advice, you may need someone to come over and look at it, don't be embarrassed to ask, everyone had to be taught to do everything they know how to do.

    Bookmark   November 22, 2007 at 11:08AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Gas fireplace that looks real in new build
Yes I know everyone want their gas logs to look real....
asyrp43
best way to clean a brick hearth?
i have tried washing the brick, but it still looks...
bmmalone
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
Where to find high heat masonry paint for inside of fireplace
I'm having trouble finding a fire resistant or fire...
janeway452
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™