prepaid Credit Cards?

punamytsikeJuly 15, 2008

Can anyone shed some light into those animals? What are the things to look for when choosing provider.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nycefarm_gw

They keep a percent every month the card is unused that comes off the balance

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 2:39PM
cube1067

I was just looking into these cards yesterday. I was thinking about using it for internet shopping at unfamiliar sites. My thinking was that a low limit would reduce my vulnerability.

However I read that some sites won't let you shop with a secured card because they are concerned that you may exhaust your limit. Also, a secured card can damage your credit score if it is reported as a secured card. I don't want to screw with my FICO.

Yes, I read they all have fees and to shop around because fees vary greatly.

Bookmark   July 18, 2008 at 3:09PM
joyfulguy

That smells quite a bit like the "gift cards" that have a fee related to initial use, or per transaction ... or inactivity fee, etc.

Do they keep some staff folks up late nights figuring how they can charge a fee for providing ...

... **nothing**??

Rats!!

ole joyful

Bookmark   July 18, 2008 at 3:12PM
bethesdamadman

nycefarm: "They keep a percent every month the card is unused that comes off the balance"

You're confusing prepaid credit cards (which are actually referred to as secured credit cards) with prepaid gift cards. And as a point of fact, even most gift card merchants have gone away from charging an inactivity fee if the cards are not used within a certain period of time.

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 7:43AM
mike_kaiser_gw

If you're looking for added security for online shopping, you might consider what options you're existing credit card companies offer. I have a Citibank card and they offer "virtual" numbers for online shopping. You can even limit the maximum dollar amount and length of time the number is good for -- all before the transaction even takes place.

Bookmark   July 20, 2008 at 9:19AM
More Discussions
Home Loan advise? Remodel and Addition
I am looking into a renovation/remodel of my current...
allieundercover
anyone had trouble getting an Amex card accepted?
I have an Amex card with a very good cashback program,...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Buying a new house financial questions?
This seems silly, but I don't have anyone else to talk...
Butternut
Refinance with Bank of America taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R
We started the process for our refinance April 25th...
wickedgrace
Private College Savings - How much is enough?
We have approximately $62,000 saved in a 529 plan for...
RealHousewifeofNJ
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™