Wainscot a fireplace

bsspewerOctober 2, 2011

Below is a photo of my current fireplace. I'm about to install new hardwood flooring in this room, and I'd like to update the look of the fireplace.

I've seen some fireplaces with a wainscot look. Can I do the same with mine by keeping the current mantel, painting it white, and building a paneled wainscot on top of the tile that surrounds the fireplace? The biggest worry I have is having wood paneling so close to the edges (glued over the current tile).

Photos of current fireplace, and a similar design that I'd like to achieve:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windslam

Wow, that mantle looks classy, I'd surely hate to recommend painting it but it has been done for a lot of years and is surely according to ones personal tastes. What you want to do has a classy traditional look to it. I think, from my looking at a lot of older homes with the look you are after, you shouldn't have many issues doing what you want. On most that I have seen where the fireplace gets used, I've seen some discoloring where a small amount of smoke may have escaped from time to time.

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 11:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bsspewer

Thanks Windslam. I'm painting over the old mantle in the interest of saving money.

I can easly do the wainscoting. It's not that hard. I'm just worried about code violations with putting it up as I'm thinking. The only code information I can easily find on fireplaces only stated that a distance of 6 inches from the top of the fireplace opening to any combustables must be mantained.

Since my fireplace has those vents above the fireplace, I think I'll be safe. I'm just here trying to assure myself of my own thinking :)

If worse comes to worse, I'd buy a longer mantle and put the light tile (the ones laid out on the hearth) around the fireplace with my wainscot design on the outer edges of the tile.

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
pooper
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
Non-angled corner fireplace?
How would you describe this fireplace? I've been trying...
fenix409
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
kitchengirl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™