fireplace demolition and removal

greg-builderOctober 23, 2006

I am doing some demolition aroud my house which will include stone fireplace can anyone tell me if demolition of just fireplace without taking down chimney is possible ?

I hope i am making it clear enough , i want to remove the fireplace inside and plug the chimney and cover the wall with sheetrock is it ok ? are there any stractual concerns ?

response greatly appriciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mainegrower

There are many structural concerns. Assuming this is a masonry chimney, its entire weight is born by the fireplace and then down to the footings beneath the fireplace. Demolishing just the fireplace basically leaves the chimney with no support. A collapse of the chimney - in who knows what direction - may or may not occur immediately, but the first high winds... In short, don't attempt to do this. A masonry chimney, especially if it is stone like the fireplace weighs many, many tons; the potential for huge damage to your house, not to mention its occupants, is almost guaranteed.
You might also consider that a fireplace adds coniderably to the resale value of your home.

Bookmark   October 24, 2006 at 6:02AM
More Discussions
Semi-detached home shared flue fireplace
Hi this is my first post to this forum so forgive me...
hiddentrails
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
kitchengirl
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
Travertine tile reface on fireplace surround & hearth
Help - We have torn down the old fake stone facing...
pennymw
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™