Masonry FP ..glass doors?

tmajorOctober 29, 2009

Hi,

I've got a masonry fireplace with an outside combustion air vent into the firebox.

I thought, I'd like to add a "glass door fire screen" to save some of the inside air from going up the chimney. I have looked at one at Home Depot, which looks to be decent quality, but ... it says "the doors must be open, while burning the fireplace". Since the unit has a slide damper at the bottom and tempered glass, it doesn't make sense, to me, that the doors must remain open. If that is the case, there would be no reason for the slide damper .... ?? All of the pictures, I see of glass doors, show them burning with the doors closed.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tom_p_pa

Glass doors should be opened when burning wood. If you read all instructions on doors, they will caution you that leaving doors closed will create too much heat and the glass can crack. Does everyone close them anyways, yes. Do doors crack, not really. But they will get blackened and uncleanable over time. The only doors you can leave fully closed are CERAMIC "glass" doors, but they are too expensive, on average a $700 upgrade, which is why you will never really see them in real life. Bottom line, all the gimicks such as damper doors are just gimmicks. Burning wood in a traditional masonary fireplace is an energy loss...no matter what way you look at it. So use it for what its purpose is...nice to look at with some warmth when you get some radiant heat sitting right in front of it. I purchase expensive Stoll made doors, and leave them opened when burning wood. The only time they get closed is when the open flames die out and I just have embers burning. The manufacturer is very clear on telling you to leave the open.

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 11:01AM
michellemarie

Google Wilkening Fireplace and look at their doors. Pricey, but excellent quality.

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 6:04PM
tmajor

I boxed the doors up the next morning and returned them.

I had made a convection heat exchanger to fit the entire periphery of the FP, which made a huge difference in heat output. I suppose, I could add a fan to the heat exchanger ... someday, maybe. Plus, it has an outside air source, which I suppose helps by not using so much conditioned air from the house.

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
Yikes! Fireplace smells terrible!
Hey everyone, I just bought a house built in the late...
prettybluehouse
Fireplace Placement Please Help
We are trying to make a decision to center our fireplace...
shancap
Putting television IN firebox of fireplace
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've searched...
sherrgr
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
Bodart & Gonay Optifire zero-clearance wood FP?
While browsing around shopping for a wood zero-clearance...
rosie
Sponsored Products
New Norm Water Bottle with Copper Lid - Menu A/S
$44.95 | HORNE
Linon Tara Black Wooden Jewelry Armoire
Overstock.com
Eastvold Furniture | Classic Credenza
YLiving.com
Euro 39-3/8 inch (1000mm) Cabinet Stainless Steel Handle Bar Pull
eModern Decor
Malibu 72" Double Bathroom Vanity Set by Wyndham Collection - Espresso Finish wi
Modern Bathroom
Design Element DEC024 Jade 48-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Set - DEC024-GTP
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™