Porcelain tiles that look like wood

catlover5March 25, 2012

Does anyone have any experience and/or photos of the porcelain or ceramic tile that looks like wood in their kitchen? Wanted to install hardwood in kitchen but DH is dead set against it and I do understand why but the room is adjacent to the dining room and I think it may be silly to install a wood look floor right next to the real thing . . . we have a very neutral 12x12 ceramic floor now but due to a change in layout, we need more tiles which have since been discontinued and PO left us with 1 tile, not enough.

Was browsing all day yesterday at any store that sells flooring in the neighborhood. Saw Florida Tile in two places that I really liked, also saw Daltile which was okay and a 3rd wood look tile that I didn't like at all and was chipped in the showroom.

On the other hand, if we decided not to go with a wood look, I really don't know what to put down. Seems silly to tear up a perfectly good floor only to put down something so similar.

Was also toying with adding an electric radiant heat pad but are definitely adding a toe kick heater tied into our gas hot water system.

Home is 1940s cape cod cottage with original hardwood floors. Putting in dove white maple wood cabs with white appliances and either a gold color granite such as New Venetian Gold or Giallo something or a dark green granite, Pavao or Green Butterfly. Kitchen is very tiny, 110x101, and high traffic as that's where the sliding door to the backyard is. We have a 125 lb dog and several pussycats with claws.

TIA for any comments or suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Stonetech

I like the "wood look" tile and have installed quite a bit of it. Recently saw some good quality product at Lowe's you might check out.

Always 'sight down" the length of the product to make sure they're not "cupped." This happens a lot and makes installation difficult, to say the least. Generally better to use a 1/3 stagger to minimize lippage....or at least 1/2 stagger, depending on how flat they are. Try putting two of them face-to-face and check for bowing.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 12:16PM
catlover5

Went to Lowe's yesterday . . they said they had none in the store to buy and only one choice in the special order section that was very light in color, not exactly what I was looking for. I found that surprising as I saw quite a bit on their web site.

Thank you for the advice about how to properly look at the tile. Are you referring to the samples in the showroom or the tiles out of the box? If out of the box, would you suggest buying more than the 10% "mistake" allowance and returning the ones that are more bowed? If returns are even allowed. . . I haven't gotten that far yet.

I really like the wood look tile and cross posted in Kitchens... saw some very nice real life examples.

Thank you.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 1:21PM
Stonetech

I would check a few out of the boxes you are buying...could be a different "run" than those on display.

10% should be adequate unless you have a very broken up area to tile.....

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 10:52AM
agentslim

Porcelanosa has a nice woodtec line. But it's over $10 PDF. SO we are just gonna go with hardwood in the kitchen too.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 6:21AM
chicgeek

We're looking at the same thing for our kitchen, family room, and foyer. 3 cats (one with an attitude issue), so we're concerned about putting down hardwood, only to have it destroyed. Wondering if anyone has photos of their porcelain wood tile floors and if they are happy with the results.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 10:57AM
Alliegator

This blog has wood-look tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Farm Chick

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 11:03PM
Stonetech

I tried to give you a link to some wonderful pictures of this tile, but the John Bridge forum link was "nixed" as spam. Why, I don't know as we are tile professionals and NOT spam artists. If you would like the link, I'd be happy to give it to you. Just Email me....

Lazarus@gt.rr.com

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 7:42PM
swtsae

We just finished the install of our porcelain plank wood tiles. We love em, and think they turned out great.

2 Likes    Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 2:22PM
Stonetech

Thanks! Looks just like the link I was trying to post....

Thanks, Gardenweb.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 6:59PM
TexasCatherder

That's beautiful!! Can you share the brand and color?

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 10:03PM
chicgeek

Yes, please share info on the product you used! Your floor looks fantastic!

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 10:20PM
swtsae

The tile is made by Exotica the color is Walnut. We got it at Floor and Decor.

http://mediterranea-usa.com/italy/exotica/

1 Like    Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 1:46AM
catlover5

swtsae, I can see why you love it . . . that floor is gorgeous!

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 7:51AM
jane__ny

Would you mind telling me what you paid per sq ft, installed? I've been looking at wood tiles and can't find your color. Love the look.

Jane

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 12:59AM
swtsae

Hi Jane sorry i havent checked back here in a while. The tile cost $3.79 a sq ft, I got a "family discount" pn install so we paid $2 sq/ft. I estimate the thinset and grout was about $0.25 sq/ft. So all in all about $6.25 ish sq/ft.

I will say this we ended up getting a "hook-up" on the grout. We ordered Laticrete Perma-color and they screwed up our order and ended up upgrading us and didnt charge us. So we got Laticrete Spectra-lock. Which i'm told is 4x more.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 11:48PM
amazinglady2348

Would this work for stair treads?

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 2:03PM
mawarosie82

My grandaughter just had this installed in new house. The installer told her it needed to be acid washed upon completion. He supplied the stuff and she did it. The tile is now dull looking. Have you ever heard of this procedure? And if so what's the reason.

Thank you

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 11:15PM
vegeburger

Went to a flooring store and saw porcelain wood-look tiles made by Mohawk. It looks like the real wood and is fantastic. However, it costs $4.79. There is only a brief mention in Mohawk's Website except it is a new product for 2012. Not sure how they compare between the above mediterranea-exotica and Mohawk's. Anyone Knows?

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 12:15PM
k2wynn

That's sad Mawarosie82. I am thinking of changing my floor to this porcelain but I see your post make me wonder now.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 7:41PM
amandalucas

I LOVE your floors, and we are planning on putting new floors down in our living room area this week! I was wondering what color grout you used? I have seen a lot of new housese that they put these floors in but used a really light grout, and it doesn't look like wood floors with the light grout. I love the look of yours! Thank you!

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 5:50PM
debbie1000

Timely post. We are looking at getting this for our den. We have dogs, cats and a pool so real wood is out.

I looked this past weekend (I have several samples here) and I'm looking at a dark wood because our adjacent tile is light and don't want to "try" to match and miss.

I think my plan is to get rectified porcelain and grout that matches so it looks more like wood.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 8:05PM
swtsae

Apologies for not checking this thread back for a while.

The grout we used was Laticrete Spectra-Lock. The color is Expresso.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 3:13PM
EDRN

We want to put the porcelain wood plank tile in our foyer, living, dining and kitchen area.

I requested a Sample of the Exotica Walnut porcelain plank for flooring and decor. It just came in the mail and is very small, dark and very little grain. I'm just wondering @ swtsae, your floors are beautiful. Did your tiles have variation in color and grain? I'm hoping its just because its a small 4 inch by 4 inch sample, that it looks so dark and plain. I was also wondering how your tile has held up since your install?

Also, my tile installer is very particular about what he puts down. Did your installer like the Exotica brand? Did you notice if many of the tiles were cupped or bowed? Sorry for all the questions. We've been to many local tile shops Daltile, Emser, Tile Shop, etc. None of them have anything like the Exotica brand, which is the exact color and style we are looking for. Since we don't have a "Floor and Decor" in my area, we'll have to order online and have it shipped. I'm concerned about that too.

Appreciate any feedback!

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 12:08PM
lajoanna

we are about to order Eleganza Vivaldi - in summer (3rd from left). $3.50ish a sq ft.
My issue is there are only 3 variations in the box. they are installing at their showroom in Anaheim so i may make the drive to check it out - and post pix. thoughts??

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 4:40PM
susanlynn2012

swtsa, your installer did an amazing job by making boards look longer but putting similar colors on top of each other. I love your floors that look so real! Thank you for sharing.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 12:04PM
claudia_2010

Hi there--I am also considering porcelain wood tile. I live on east coast. Are they terribly cold? Thanks

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 9:02PM
DianaHag

We are building a new home, and just had the entire house (including bathrooms) done last week. To say the least, we are THRILLED with our choice as well as the installation. We chose Old Navy Bianco (gray) from Floor & Decor (best price we could find anywhere). The grout is 3/16" and the offset is 25%. Wanting a very country look, I would have preferred random, but every installer said no can do. It was suggested to me that I go a little darker than the floor itself for the grout, which I did. I believe it's a very good choice.

Bookmark   January 1, 2015 at 3:03PM
More Discussions
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
We might replace our wood floor with new....
I have 20yr old hardwood floor in our foyer. It is...
cindywhitall
Kentwood Hardwood Flooring
Has anyone installed wood flooring from Kentwood? If...
MichelleDT
wood floor finish (am I being too picky)
We recently had our wood floors refinished with the...
Jennifer White Green
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™