Removing Glued Down Cork Floor

lkremodelMarch 17, 2007

I'm considering removing an old glued down cork floor. Flooring person says this will be a tough floor to pull up. It covers a large area.

Has anyone pulled up a hard to remove glued floor that has a wood sub-floor? How difficult is it? Are there any products or techniques that make it easier?

Any help you can give will be most appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floorguy

It may be easier and less costly, to just cut out the subfloor and cork, in one tear out, and replace the subfloor.

There are removal machines that tout tile removal, without destroying the wood substrate beneath.

Bookmark   March 17, 2007 at 9:10AM
hemnancy

lkremodel- It's been a while, what did you do? Why did you want to remove the cork? I'm considering cork but unsure how it would look down the road and after moving furniture, etc. Also if I used glue-down tiles I would be creating what you are removing. I imagine that defects in areas could be fixed just by removing a tile and gluing down another one. Do you find the softness and warmth appealing at all?

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 8:14PM
glennsfc

Those considering real cork tile flooring glued down to a substrate...should you grow tired of the look, they can be sanded, stained and refinished or they can be stenciled with a pattern to update them (think decorating here) and then finished like you would a hardwood floor...AND, well-bonded cork flooring makes an excellent underfloor for any product installed over them. In other words, there is little to be gained attempting to remove them.

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 10:59PM
More Discussions
LVP Underlayment
Hello all. Like everyone here I am in the middle of...
ryancoc22
Somerset Country Hardwood Made in China
After ordering 1650 sf of Somerset Country hardwood,...
blondie859111
Indusparquet...opinions, please
After a frustrating on-off search for over two year,...
joyintx
Appalachian Flooring made in Canada
http://www.appalachianflooring.com/evershine I have...
cindywhitall
What I Learned About Installing Engineered Floors
We just finished installing engineered flooring over...
francesca_sf
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™