Carlson's Barnwood - anyone used them?

templemorrisMarch 20, 2011

Hi Everyone,

We're thinking about buying wide-plank antique flooring from Carlson's Barnwood. Has anyone had any experiences with them?

FWIW, we're also looking at Vintage Lumber, Country Plank.com, and Authentic Pine Floors. Any thoughts on any of them would be great too.

Thanks!

Temple

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Floortech

You will not get a ton of support on this forum from buying hardwood flooring on line unless the online people are going to take responsibility for the install also which they do not....When purchasing online..you will have no manufacturer representation...if there is a problem..you are up the creek and installing a hardwood is an investment..It should cost you no more to have it professionally done. The key word here is professionally. Good Luck

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 2:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
idrive65

Aw, I'll give you some support! :)

A couple of notes on antique and/or reclaimed flooring...

Grading standards vary widely. One company's "rustic grade" is another's "character grade" for example. Expect knots and nail holes.

You will need to find a professional installer who pays attention to moisture metering the floor/subfloor and properly acclimatizing the floor boards prior to install, especially important with wider widths.

Don't buy a wide board package that starts at 2 foot lengths. The great thing about antique/remilled flooring is that you can get longer boards than you find in prepackaged flooring, and you will want them. 10" wide boards look silly at 2-3' long.

If possible, see an actual floor. No company puts a bad photo on their website or brochure.

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
carpet comparison
We are looking at 2 carpets right now. Both are Anso...
sutrotower96
wood floor finish (am I being too picky)
We recently had our wood floors refinished with the...
Jennifer White Green
has anyone put down oiled wood floors?
i fell in love with floors by a company called DuChateau....
Bridget Helm
bamboo floor fumes--anyone else have this problem??
Hi, has anyone installed a bamboo floor and had trouble...
nikwaters
farm house Floors
Hello everyone. I live in a old farmhouse in new england....
jennybog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™