Soapstone for fireplace hearth?

jess111October 14, 2008

I want to replace the ugly ceramic floor tiles that make up the hearth in front of the fireplace.

I found what looks like a pretty piece of malibu green, which from what I'm reading is not actually soapstone, but serpentine. I have no idea what the heck that is. it's a wood burning fireplace with a box that is rather low to the ground, with only a few inches of vents between the box and the floor. The current hearth is carpet level and just rests on the plywood subfloor, so I assume that the soapstone would be fine, but I know little about these materials.

Lastly, can this stone be finished with chiseled edges?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fandlil

Since that serpentine thing is probably some kind of tile and is therefore not combustible, it will be appropriate to use in the hearth. But you would have to check with a tile installer/fabricator to find out whether it can be beveled.

Bookmark   October 14, 2008 at 10:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foolyap

Soapstone is a superb material on or near a fireplace. Our free-standing woodstove has a soapstone fire-box and sides; it both looks good (my opinion), and absorbs a great deal of heat that it radiates to the room for hours after the fire has burned out.

However, it is a very soft stone, so I wouldn't want it where it's going to get much foot traffic.

--Steve

Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround
My rock wall fireplace looks dingy from 50 years of...
pompeii
Gas Fireplace question
We recently bought a second home, and it has a gas...
grapefruit1_ar
Recommendations on Double Sided Direct Vent Gas fireplace!
Hello, I'm remodeling my home in California and want...
roadrunnerrita
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™