two liners in one chimney?

olivia001October 5, 2008

Hello. I would really appreciate any expert advice.

I have a chimney that has a single flue for both the oil furnace and the woodburning fireplace. I've been advised that I cannot burn wood in it as it violates code and is a safety hazard. I have no interest in burning my house down, so will not do so! However, I'd love to find a way to fix the problem of not being able to have a occasional nice fire on a cold snowy evening.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I read something somewhere about possibly being able to put two liners in the same chimney - is this done? Doable?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haus_proud

I think the only way to get a definite answer to your question is to have a chimney contractor look at your fireplace and oil furnace. My guess is that it is possible to put in a second flue IN PRINCIPLE, but it would have to be sealed so that it does not communicate in any way with the flue for the furnace. Whether there is room in your chimney to accomplish this can only be determined by someone with the right expertise/certification after a close inspection of your system. In any event, I would not let anyone talk you into a makeshift system that does not comply with your code. If you do that and you have a fire, your insurance company will not pay.

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 8:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olivia001

Oh, I am going to have someone from a chimney place come out and look at it, and will absolutely not do anything that's not to code!

I was just hoping to get some informed opinions beforehand so I have some background info and can think of the right questions to ask.

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
pooper
Gas Fireplace question
We recently bought a second home, and it has a gas...
grapefruit1_ar
cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround
My rock wall fireplace looks dingy from 50 years of...
pompeii
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™