What should I do?

nicole007October 4, 2012

Sadly, my large oak tree is going to have to be cut down. I told the tree men I wanted all the wood and they think I'm crazy to want the trunk too. How hard would it be to sell the trunk ... or are there people who want it whole for furniture? I've never had a tree cut before ... is wood too hard to sell at this time of year? Should I just let most of it go or ... please, any suggestions! It's goign to be all over my driveway tomorrow.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sue_ct

I am going to comment on a few posts, since I hate to see people ignored, lol. This depends on your local circumstances. In CT, there is usually a steady demand for wood, but even here most people want it pre-cut. A few will cut it if they can haul it away for free. Its a lot of work, so paying for the tree AND cutting it up yourself is not likely to happen. Then last fall we had a huge storm in Oct that damaged or downed a lot of trees, so they were plentiful for the taking. For that reason, there is much less demand now. If you can cut it, split it and offer it for sale in fireplace size logs you might get somewhere, but even then it needs to dry for a year before use, so stacking it and drying it for a year and then offering seasoned firewood for sale will get you the most interest. I never have a tree taken down and the wood left unless I know I have someone ready to take it before the tree comes down since I don't have the ability to do all that work.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
Indoor/Outdoor Fireplace
Does anyone own an indoor/outdoor dual sided fireplace?...
rebph
Travertine tile reface on fireplace surround & hearth
Help - We have torn down the old fake stone facing...
pennymw
Recommendations on Double Sided Direct Vent Gas fireplace!
Hello, I'm remodeling my home in California and want...
roadrunnerrita
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Sponsored Products
Christo Rug 9' x 12' - BARK (BROWN)
$4,999.00 | Horchow
Faux Wood 21 1/2-inch Blinds
Overstock.com
Carpet Edging: Instabind Flooring Cotton Serge Style in Avocado IB54SBAVO
Home Depot
Trend Foil Mosaic Tiles I-439 (Case of 11)
Overstock.com
Westbrook Ceiling Fan by Quorum International
$504.00 | Lumens
iPool Swimming Pool - 512007
Hayneedle
Royal S Pendant by Grupo B.lux
$511.56 | Lumens
Black Floor Lamp: 59 in. 3 Legged Black Floor Lamp 31181BK
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™