What should I do?

nicole007October 4, 2012

Sadly, my large oak tree is going to have to be cut down. I told the tree men I wanted all the wood and they think I'm crazy to want the trunk too. How hard would it be to sell the trunk ... or are there people who want it whole for furniture? I've never had a tree cut before ... is wood too hard to sell at this time of year? Should I just let most of it go or ... please, any suggestions! It's goign to be all over my driveway tomorrow.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sue_ct

I am going to comment on a few posts, since I hate to see people ignored, lol. This depends on your local circumstances. In CT, there is usually a steady demand for wood, but even here most people want it pre-cut. A few will cut it if they can haul it away for free. Its a lot of work, so paying for the tree AND cutting it up yourself is not likely to happen. Then last fall we had a huge storm in Oct that damaged or downed a lot of trees, so they were plentiful for the taking. For that reason, there is much less demand now. If you can cut it, split it and offer it for sale in fireplace size logs you might get somewhere, but even then it needs to dry for a year before use, so stacking it and drying it for a year and then offering seasoned firewood for sale will get you the most interest. I never have a tree taken down and the wood left unless I know I have someone ready to take it before the tree comes down since I don't have the ability to do all that work.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
Linear Fireplace
Can I put a 60 inch linear fireplace in place of this...
kjez2010
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
Gas Fire Place
I have a direct vent gas fireplace with a standing...
JakeBrey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™