What size Hardiebacker to use?

ben_diMarch 28, 2012

I plan to install 1/4" porcelain tile in my kitchen that will transition to a 3/4" hardwood floor in the living room. I would like the finished installed tile to be flush with the hardwood. If I use the 1/4" hardibacker along with the thin set on both sides and tile, will this give me the 3/4" height that I need? My subflloor is 5/8" plywood on 16" centered joists and I was told that I should use hardibacker 500 to bring the thickness of my subfloor to a minimum of 1 1/8" that is required for tile. Will the HB 500 make the finished tile floor higher than the 3/4" hardwood? And how important is the thickness of the sub floor?

I am sorry for the rambling. I hope this forum can help me decide on the Hardiebacker size to use.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don92

The Hardi is a little less than 1/2" and with the tile and thinset you should be at 3/4".
Thickness of sub floor is important because you do not want any flex in the floor that could loosen or crack the tile.
Your subfloor is a little inadequate for the tile. Can you reinforce the floor from underneath?

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 9:31PM
More Discussions
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
Tigerwood Flooring - if you have it would you do it again
We are considering putting in Tigerwood flooring. We...
snowcamp
We might replace our wood floor with new....
I have 20yr old hardwood floor in our foyer. It is...
cindywhitall
LVP Underlayment
Hello all. Like everyone here I am in the middle of...
ryancoc22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™