Need confirmation - Do I need more than the temper glass?

nosleepOctober 24, 2011

My fireplace glass front is missing. The last owner of the house told me that I just need to replace with a piece of tempered glass. The big fire place frame is metal with 4 metal taps in the back that looks like a picture frame. There is one big piece of glass (26" x 36" about 1/4" thick I am guessing) suppose to go in the frame as a fireplace enclosure front and it appears that you fold the 4 small metal taps on the side to hold the glass in place.

When I took the frame to the glass place, the people there told me that there could be something that is between the glass and the metal so it won't rattle. They also worry about thermal expansion of the glass if I just put the exact piece in there. I have a very difficult time asking people and searching the internet to verify if there is something typically between the glass and the metal frame.

Can someone in the forum help me with this? Will it work with just putting the exact piece of glass like the glass in a picture frame and clamp down the 4 metal taps in the back of it? How can I clamp it down without breaking the temper glass? Is there a type of material that can handle the heat and make the glass stay better in place? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Go to a stove/fireplace shop and make sure what you have is actually glass.

All the "glass" in woodstoves is actually clear ceramic which can withstand the temperatures, so just make sure you replace the panel with the right material.

    Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 7:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I found a very small pieces of glass in the fireplace. It was clear and it has no sharp edges and looks somewhat like a little cylinder (about 3/8" x 1/16", the size of two long grain rice stack on top of each other). It looks like a broken piece from a tempered glass. Would a broken clear ceramic look like that as well? I don't have much experience with clear ceramic.

    Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 1:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Visually you can't tell the differance between regular glass and ceramic glass. I needed glass for my woodstove and they referred to it as "ice glass". It sits in the metal frame with stove rope as a cusion. this is available from Rutland and can be purchased at a home store. I got mine at Menards.

    Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 9:07PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Bodart & Gonay Optifire zero-clearance wood FP?
While browsing around shopping for a wood zero-clearance...
help please ! saw a picture, how can this be made?
Can anyone help me figure out these dimensions and...
Recommendations on Double Sided Direct Vent Gas fireplace!
Hello, I'm remodeling my home in California and want...
See-through fireplace
Does anyone have any experience with the Lennox Montebello...
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™