Harman insert or P68??

davidonOctober 19, 2007

I'm interested in getting an insert or pellet stove but after reading a few emails by people who have the pellet stoves...is it true that the savings is negligable with the cost of pellets as high as they are? If this is true I will scrap the idea.

If it's worth getting should I get an insert for around 3200 (which is more desirable) or a p68 for a steal (900 NEW) ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
razl

Here's the way I see it. Let's assume you can get a cord of wood for $150.00 and your wood stove/insert is 75% efficient. This will give you about 1,000 BTUs per $1.

So if your pellet stove is 85% efficient, you would have to pay $136.00 to equal the wood's 1,000 BTU per $1. I can get wood for $150.00 but I have not seen pellets anywhere near $135.00.

Bookmark   October 25, 2007 at 10:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dlpz

A new P68 for 900 bucks is pretty awesome deal. I'm looking at getting a P61. I went down the woodstove path, but decided on a pellet stove based on work load of procuring and then stacking/seasoning wood as well as if I sell the house I can unplug and move the stove with me fairly easily. If I thought I'd be in this house a while and had a ready source of free wood I'd go woodstove (wood stove heat is awesome as well as the best ambiance). Wood here is 255 for a full cord (delivered), a ton of pellets is 211. If I pre buy in the spring I can get pellets about 170. Kind of runs par with nat. gas but if you pre-buy low you're locked in at a good price, where nat. gas fluctuates pretty well dependent on hurricanes in the gulf and etc.
I got a couple prices on Harman stoves, the most expensive one for a p68 was 3108.00, so in my opinion 900 bucks is kind of sweet.

Good Luck!

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 10:24PM
More Discussions
Installing New Granite Tile Over Old Granite Fireplace Surround?
Hi! On my fireplace surround do I have to replace the...
resipsa44
Lennox Montebello See Through?
Anyone have some first hand experience with this unit?...
niteshadepromises
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
Feedback on MORSO 5660 unit with blower
Hi all- we're replacing our wood insert to get a sleeker...
thehype
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
Sponsored Products
Christopher Knight Home Harman Fabric Barstool (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Christopher Knight Home Harman Fabric Dining Chair (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™