Cost and how to 'close' fireplace?

caligirl4lifeOctober 11, 2007

We are on final inspection for our house (recently added on a second story). The inspector came back with a couple of items including the fireplace. Basically he stated that we need to add an additional gas line for the fireplace (because of the increase in btu from other parts of the house) and that the chimney needs to be at least 2 feet higher than the second story addition. If we do not do these things, the inspector said we would need to permanently close off the fireplace.

We will request quotes to fix these problems, but wanted to know how easy would it be to just "close" or "seal-off" the fireplace? Also, what is the correct procedure for closing or sealing off a fireplace and if you know how much it would cost or could it be a DIY. (We are little handy - we remodeled our entire kitchen ourselves including demolition and put in a deck ourservles as well.)

I would not mind sealing it off and placing one of those electric fireplace mantel setups at all. We have a little baby right now who will beginning walking in the next few months and I think it would be wiser to just close off (the fireplace sits on the floor so anyone can just walk up to it and injure themselves if the fire is going).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jca1

To be sure you do it in a way that will be accepted, ask the inspector, call him at the office.

Bookmark   October 17, 2007 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
Napoleon Fireplaces - Be Careful
I purchased an expensive Napoleon fireplace last summer,...
joc6820
Lennox Montebello See Through?
Anyone have some first hand experience with this unit?...
niteshadepromises
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
Travertine tile reface on fireplace surround & hearth
Help - We have torn down the old fake stone facing...
pennymw
Installing New Granite Tile Over Old Granite Fireplace Surround?
Hi! On my fireplace surround do I have to replace the...
resipsa44
Sponsored Products
Cameo White and Chrome Three-Light Convertible Pendant
$232.00 | Bellacor
Elden Rug 5'6" x 8'6" - AUBERGINE
$639.00 | Horchow
Hooked On Style Wall Shelf
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
Vincent Left Hand Nighstand - White
Zuri Furniture
Carson 30 in. Sonnet Mother Wind Chime - 62901
$50.99 | Hayneedle