a neverending story?

chery2June 23, 2004

This is an update on my "my fault, any hope?" post of May 12 this year. It's not a happy ending -- maybe not even an ENDING at all, but here it is:

SIL prepared our taxes that year on a computer he still owns but doesn't use. He went to the trouble of booting it back up, only to find that the program he used didn't automatically save.

So I called the number [not toll-free] given on the letter and explained the situation, adding that DH and I had filed and paid state taxes for 33 years. He broke into my tirade saying, "Get your employer to send you a copy of your W-2 along with your husband's. Send a copy to us and we'll take it from there."

Employer took a long time to send the W-2s [Mem. Day weekend]and sent ME someone else's with the same last name. Time was running out on the 30-day limit, so I sent the taxation dept. both copies with an explanation and a promise to send the correct one as soon as it came.

Today a letter came saying, "AN ASSESSMENT, BASED ON THE BEST AVAILABLE INFORMATION RECEIVED, IS ISSUED FOR NOT FILING A TAX RETURN."

INDIVIDUAL TAX: $30.00

IND. PENALTY $15.00

IND. INTEREST $ 4.52

The original letter said we owed $144.

I will send the state dept. of taxation a check for what it says is the "total amount due," $49.52, but I want to send a protest along with it.

How did they arrive at these dollar amounts? Why does the letter state only DH's SS and not mine?

I feel totally powerless, completely clueless, and very much afraid that this is only the beginning.

What would you do in this situation? chery-va

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
manyhosta

According to the state's website, your state tax agency has a Taxpayer Rights advocate. That person can suspend any process while your claim is under review. My advice is, call the department for more information about that service.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Taxpayers Rights & Advocate info

Bookmark   June 30, 2004 at 10:07AM
maxwell

I would just pay the $49.52 and forget about it. I can't see how that amount is worth your or anyone else's time and trouble. The fact that the bill says "total amount due" means that paying it will close the matter.

Bookmark   June 30, 2004 at 11:31AM
cowboyind

I hope that's true, but a lot of documents like that in Indiana say something to the effect of, "additional tax may be due if an error has been made." But I guess at least the $49.52 would be a down payment on whatever they later decide you owe, if it's true that they can come back and ask for more.

I think I'd just pay it unless you honestly believe you don't owe it.

Bookmark   July 14, 2004 at 4:38PM
Jonesy

I would pay it and keep the paper work..forever.

Bookmark   September 8, 2004 at 9:24PM
More Discussions
Any advice for a lady whose husband hides $?
I am a widow and used to doing for myself. I have a...
topsiebeezelbub
Programmable Thermostat proof
Does anyone have hard copy proof of the savings that...
rjexit5
Just because you pay your bills on time.....
doesn't guarantee you have good credit The "Paying...
myfask
Spending Breakdown
My wife and I have tracked our spending over the last...
rjexit5
Buying a car
I am planning to buy a car, but my credit rating is...
HerscheLL
Sponsored Products
Dobby Hand Towel - WHITE
$36.00 | Horchow
Howard Miller 611-148 Le Rose Curio Grandfather Clock - 611148
$825.30 | Hayneedle
Good Ideas Impressions Bark Rain Saver - IMP-C50-BLK
$179.99 | Hayneedle
Crackle Finish End Table
$59.99 | zulily
King Embroidered Sham - GRAY (KING)
$172.00 | Horchow
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Yosemite Home Decor Lindsey Collection 52 in. Indoor Oil Ru
Home Depot
Rectangle willow baskets s/4
Origin Crafts
Beatles Invasion Limited Edition Pen Set
$140.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™