OOPS. sticky stain on top of tung oil

lbelleMarch 14, 2012

I have wide plank soft pine floors that were stained and covered with tung oil 5 years ago. Since then I got 2 dogs and they have ripped up the finish in wear areas down to the original wood. ( not to mention all the claw marks, and i know now that either the dogs or the floor was a bad decision, but here we are).

So my friend and I thought to stain the bad areas to blend in the color so it is not obvious. Well, she got a little crazy with the stain (because it was covering and looking good), and didn't wipe it away as much as was needed. Once I saw it, I tried to remove more, but now it is just a sticky new problem. Do you think I can take mineral spirits and wipe down the whole thing? Any other ideas?

BTW, We want to sell the house and will give an allowance toward refinishing . In the meantime, feel the dogs would just gouge the floors if we refinished now, so just want it to not look so bad.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolmka

Check with the manufacturer first or installer about care. Mineral spirits will be too harsh. May end up with sanding and reapplying tung oil.

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 12:58PM
woodfloorpro

Mineral spirits ASAP. Use clean absorbent rags then soak them in water or spread them out to dry. Spontaneous combustion is a very real possibility.
I suggest you get a pro to look it over. The stained bare wood marks still need to be sealed.

The 1st question I ask a client looking for a wood floor is, "Do you have a dog?" if yes the 2nd is "how large?" every other decision flows from there.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 4:17PM
brickeyee

"Mineral spirits will be too harsh."

Mineral spirits is actually about the mildest of the solvents available.

One of the reasons it is used as a cleaner on almost any finish that is not plastic.

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
Tigerwood Flooring - if you have it would you do it again
We are considering putting in Tigerwood flooring. We...
snowcamp
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
Difference visually between 1/8 and 3/16 grout joints?
We're thinking 1/8 but the installer is suggesting...
joep_2009
Tile over fiberglass?
Long story short, we added some porches to our new...
Nick Anderson
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™