Increasing fireplace efficiency?

carajonOctober 13, 2009

We have two fireplaces in our new (3 year old) house. The fireplaces are an odd size - 32" wide by 37" tall and approximately 18" deep.We are considering getting a woodstove and installing it in one of the fireplaces so we can really heat the house with it, but I like the look of the fireplace, so am somewhat hesitant. We've looked at inserts but because of the odd size of our fireplace, there aren't any standard inserts that will fit. I've been wondering if we had a glass door installed (currently the fireplaces are open) perhaps that would increase efficiency? Also, I noticed that a company called Stoll makes blowers that can be used in conjunction with their doors... I guess my questions are:

Would a woodstove be our best option for efficiency?

Are there other alternatives? (Perhaps someone makes custom fireplace inserts?)

And finally, any idea why our fireplace would have been built with such odd proportions?

Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buttercupia

Pacific Energy makes fireplace inserts which claim to fit any size fireplace. They also have very good reviews for being able to really put out the heat. They come with glass doors.. check out their website. There are also many other manufacturers which sell these too. With the government income tax credit rebates, you can get 30 percent off on many of these up to $1500 through 2010.

Bookmark   October 14, 2009 at 12:15AM
More Discussions
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
best way to clean a brick hearth?
i have tried washing the brick, but it still looks...
bmmalone
Semi-detached home shared flue fireplace
Hi this is my first post to this forum so forgive me...
hiddentrails
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
kitchengirl
Non-angled corner fireplace?
How would you describe this fireplace? I've been trying...
fenix409
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™