Fireplace screens - Has anyone noticed?

sanborn5October 27, 2007

As I thumb thru magazines and catalogs I am noticing more and more that the fireplace screens do not cover the opening of the fireplace. Anyone know why?

I think it looks funny to see the screen on the hearth, and maybe an inch or two beyond the opening on the sides, and the top of the screen about 3' - 5" below the top opening.

It just looks to me like someone measured wrong. But as I said it seems common. The pottery barn catalog, crate & barrel and some decorating magazines. Has anyone done this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barbaranh

Haven't noticed this because I haven't been looking, but I definitely wouldn't want a screen that didn't reach the top of the opening. Aren't the openings and the screens standard sizes? I believe the screen should fit within a couple of inches all around.

We bought one last year that's about an inch over on the sides and 4-5 inches over on the top. It looks good.

Bookmark   November 1, 2007 at 2:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mildredpots

Several years ago I was looking for a freestanding screen for my fireplace, and I remember having a hard time finding one the right size. I think in my case they were too tall, I guess there is a lot of variation in firebox heights, so for companies that aren't specializing in hearth products, they probably just don't care if it is not "right".

Bookmark   November 1, 2007 at 5:43PM
More Discussions
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
pooper
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
do you recognize this stacked stone?
I would like to install stacked stone and found this...
rosebay
Where to find high heat masonry paint for inside of fireplace
I'm having trouble finding a fire resistant or fire...
janeway452
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™