chimney repair-'Flexible Crown'

rredoggOctober 2, 2005

I previously posted a question about chimney repair where a local company came out and after inspecting the chimney suggested a "flexible crown" be applied over the existing crown. The company offered this service for $180.00 dollars.

I was able to locate this product (Weather Tite Flexible Crown) and made a retail purches (2 Gal. bucket for $180). Got together with some of the neighbors and we did our four chimneys with some of the product left over.

Also found a place on E-bay selling the same product for less but I opted to go with a local outfit to pruchase.

Nothing wrong with saving a buck, rredogg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Switching2Wood

I'm not sure what your product looked like, but I closed up a chimney on a previous house by chipping out the top clay liner and then inserting a flat piece of rock over the hole. I think used mortar on top of the rock to smooth the patch with the rest of the cement cap.

I then used a black polymer type stuff from Home Depot/Lowes that cost less than 20 bucks to "paint" the top of the cement cap, thereby sealing the whole thing.

Is your stuff somehow different from the Homne Depot stuff?

Bookmark   October 2, 2005 at 6:20PM
rredogg

Switching,

This would be a different product. The product I used was intended to protect the crown of the chimney from weathering and for waterproffing. If you do a goggle search regarding a "flexible crown" you'll see what I mean.

Talk to you later, rredogg

Bookmark   October 3, 2005 at 8:02PM
Switching2Wood

Yep, the stuff I used was also specifically for sealing masonry. I looked at the stuff you bought, and the only advantage I could see over the stuff I used was that it came in colors other than black.

Other than the color, the funciton seemed to be the same.

So I guess I'm adding this note for anybody out there who wants to seal the top of their chimney cap and doesn't care that it's black -

You can get stuff cheap at Lowes or Home Depot that will do the job as well as the expensive stuff.

Bookmark   October 4, 2005 at 9:46AM
major8

I recognize that this thread is from 05 but i thought i would add some info for those of you who are repairing masonry chimneys. The Flexible Crown product from Weathertite Idndustries has a 15 year warranty. The black tar like products from hardware stores will get hard over time and probably crack. I would look closely at the warranty before putting anything on my house.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
kitchengirl
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
pooper
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™