Irish peat pellets for woodburning FP?

lithiginOctober 16, 2009

Hello,

Our new 1920 house has a tiny entrance to its fireplace (perhaps was for coal?), and I'd like a solution so I can burn something for coziness and some warmth in our family room. A single log would barely fit in there (interior is 12x18'), and the ash drop is equally tiny. I have a photo but don't know how to append it.

In Ireland, I recall the hostels burned chunks of peat sod that emitted heat and a wonderful smoky aroma but little flame. They were maybe the size of a fist, not tiny pellets. All of my local FP stores only sell wood pellets and have never heard of this. Am I crazy to think that I can burn this stuff in a regular FP? I found a source below that hasn't returned my calls yet.

Thanks for any input!

Lindsay

Here is a link that might be useful: Inishowen Black Peat Turf Clods/Sods

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
berlin

Buy some Bituminous coal, that is what you're fireplace was made for, won't smell the same as peat, but if you've spent any time in northern ireland, scotland, england or much of europe from germany eastward, you'll know what it smells like. (of course hopefully you won't be smelling much of anything inside your home, otherwise you have draft/chimney issues). google "bituminous coal sources" to find one near you.

Bookmark   October 18, 2009 at 2:46AM
More Discussions
Feedback on MORSO 5660 unit with blower
Hi all- we're replacing our wood insert to get a sleeker...
thehype
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
Bodart & Gonay Optifire zero-clearance wood FP?
While browsing around shopping for a wood zero-clearance...
rosie
Yikes! Fireplace smells terrible!
Hey everyone, I just bought a house built in the late...
prettybluehouse
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™