Fireplace One Piece Glass Replacement

nosleepOctober 19, 2011


I just got a house with fireplace glass gone. The last owner told me that I just need to replace with a piece of tempered glass. The frame has a metal frame with 4 metal taps in the back that just looks a picture frame. The one big piece of glass (26" x 26" about 1/4" thick I am guessing) goes in the frame and I guess you fold the 4 metal taps to hold the glass in place.

When I took it to the glass place, the people there told me that there could be something that is between the glass and the metal so it won't rattle. They also worry about thermal expansion of the glass if I just put the exact piece in there. I have a very difficult time asking people and searching the internet to verify if there is something typically between the glass and the metal frame. Can someone in the forum help me with this? Will it work with just putting the exact piece of glass like the glass in a picture frame and clamp down the 4 metal taps in the back of it? Is there a type of material that can handle the heat and make the glass stay better in place? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Typo on the original message: It needs 26" x 36" about 1/4" thick. The glass folks measured it to be slightly less (I think it is 25 3/4" x 35 7/8" and thickness to be 3/16" to 1/4")

    Bookmark   October 19, 2011 at 3:57PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Large Fireplace
Hi. I am trying to have my fireplace in my living room...
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
Bodart & Gonay Optifire zero-clearance wood FP?
While browsing around shopping for a wood zero-clearance...
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
Double-Sided Firebox Remodel Possible?
We recently purchased a house that has a double sided...
Sponsored Products
Wood Molding & Trim: Bruce Flooring 5/8 in. x 2 in. x 78 in. Red Oak Chestnut
$29.13 | Home Depot
Fire Pit Art Long Horn fire Pit - LH
$790.00 | Hayneedle
Daymeion Distress Cocoa Brown Fireplace Screen
Tommy Bahama Outdoor Island Estate Lanai Dining Chair
American Fyre Designs Scroll Screen - 8255-BL
$420.00 | Hayneedle
Outdoor GreatRoom Chat Aluminum Taupe Rocking Lounge Chair (Set of 2)
$664.05 | LuxeDecor
Landmann Patio Lights Firewave Fire Pit - Metallic Brown - 23515
$107.11 | Hayneedle
Wood Molding & Trim: Bruce Flooring Ponderosa Oak 5/8 in. Thick x 2 in. Wide x
$36.54 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™