Partial match wood vs tile

sdmomMarch 24, 2013

Hi there, I'm new here and hoping for some help. Our home has an existing wood floor in the foyer and kitchen but our sunken living room and family room are carpeted. We really want some sort of solid surface instead of carpet. The wood we have has been really hard to match. We found a partial match that is very pricey. The width matches, grain is pretty good but stain is off a little. We have engineered cherry with a reddish, shiny look that is unusual. We like it and don't want to change the existing wood. Would you recommend using a less than perfect match on the wood or something like tile in the adjacent rooms?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raee_gw

I had a similar problem, couldn't match the existing 70 year old oak floor in either color or appearance (age vs. new) so decided to stick with oak but went with a darker (yet complimentary) color in the adjoining room. I brought home samples in the color range that I had in mind until I found the ones that just looked the best with the existing floor and my planned wall colors.

I nearly went with cork, though, have you thought about that? I definitely would for a family room. It comes in all sorts of colors and textures and there are some really good prices out there right now. I talked to a guy whose parents have had cork flooring for nearly 50 years and it has held up very well, he said.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 2:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdmom

Thanks for the reply. I did consider cork but we have young kids (potty training) and am concerned about accidents. Surprisingly our wood tolerated potty training with our first pretty well. I just had the designer at our house it it just really confused me. I'm leaning towards the less than perfect match....wish we had the money to just tear it all up.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 10:11PM
More Discussions
Advise with flooring?
Hi, I need some advise with flooring. I have a spare...
galinas
trying to figure out vinyl vs wood laminate Help !
I am new to using anything other than real wood......
roksee
Reviews : Brazilian direct - http://www.brazilianhardwood.com/ -
Did any one purchase solid hardwood from Brazilian...
luxman
Travertine Flooring
Trying to find out more info on Travertine flooring....
dqubti
Chinese Hardwood Flooring - After Lumber Liquidators & 60 Minutes
Wondering how folks are now feeling about buying imported...
Ken Fisher
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Mosaic Mirror
Serena & Lily
Taupe & Red Tile Indoor/Outdoor Alfresco Rug
$24.99 | zulily
Rockford Carbon Black Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Dayton White Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Solid Maple/Walnut Staunton Chess Set - CB184
$454.99 | Hayneedle