Replacing fake logs with glass crystals

sshaw66October 7, 2012

I've got a majestic fireplace (direct vent, natural gas, indoor) and I want to replace the bits of lava rock and fake ceramic logs with either glass crystals or glass beads. I've not found much information online about this, other than companies that want to sell both the glass and a new burner to replace the old one. I wonder if replacing the burner is necessary, or can I put the glass around the existing burner/pilot light? Anyone ever done this type of "conversion"?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sue_ct

I don't know, but I have read at places that sell the glass, that you need the correct burner. That doesn't mean they just want to sell a burner, it might be required to be safe. Woodland direct, for instance says their glass should be used "only when using vent-free approved burner system". Call them (by "them" I mean anyone that sells the glass) and ask if you can use it with the burner that you have, that you are not interested in replacing the burner. Since I am sure they would rather sell just the glass than nothing at all, if they don't recommend using it unless you replace the burner, then you probably have your answer. You could also visit a local fireplace dealer and ask.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 7:54PM
More Discussions
Gas fireplace that looks real in new build
Yes I know everyone want their gas logs to look real....
asyrp43
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Jotul Kennebec
Well today is day two with my new Jotul fireplace insert...
turningpoint
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™