Marmoleum problems in kit chen

birdienewroFebruary 24, 2010

We have Marmoleum tiles in our kitchen in a wonderful pattern.

It has been coming up since it was installed. The dealer said he had to be the one to put in the sub-floor, and he did. The tiles are coming up next to the sink and dishwasher, but there aren't leaks. We have been vigilant about drying drips and spills when we do the dishes. The tiles also come up where there isn't any water--under a desk, near the radiators, doorway into dining room. The dealer has come back twice and replaced and re-glued problem tiles. Anyone know why it's not sticking?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

Hope you discovered the reason your tiles are not sticking. My first thought is the wrong adhesive or application. My second thought is a possible problem with the substrate that the material is installed over.

Bookmark   March 4, 2010 at 10:20AM
birdienewro

Dear Glensfc~~~ Thanks for getting back. As soon as I summon up my courage, I'll call the flooring company~~Ro

Bookmark   March 12, 2010 at 11:59AM
birdienewro

Sorry it's taken a year to post back! I got in touch with Marmoleum customer service and had a person to person conversation with the Service Manager. He assessed the trouble while we were on the phone. He had me lift some of the tiles that were coming off.
The adhesive had been applied with a serrated trowel. It needed a smooth edged trowel. Additionally, the installers probably let the adhesive get too dry before putting the squares in place. The Service Manager said Marmoleum would help with the replacement price. The whole floor was replaced and I was not shown a bill. There's not a single tile that has budged since. Both Marmoleum and my retailer
deserve the Nobel prize for great service.
Moral of the story: BE SURE YOUR INSTALLER HAS RECENTLY LEARNED THE SPECIAL WAY MARMOLEUM IS INSTALLED.

Bookmark   February 21, 2011 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
Need help getting ink/marker off hard wood flooring
Anyone had a child mark on their hardwood floors with...
mattsarmymom
What I Learned About Installing Engineered Floors
We just finished installing engineered flooring over...
francesca_sf
Floor sanding/screening question
I just purchased my first home and decided to get the...
berlinswing
Bamboo flooring from LL bad odor
I purchased morning star bamboo strand click flooring...
rg100
bamboo floor fumes--anyone else have this problem??
Hi, has anyone installed a bamboo floor and had trouble...
nikwaters
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™