Particle board subfloors

turbo3February 4, 2011

I have a 37 year old house that unfortunately was built with particle board subfloor. I want to put in nice, pre-finished, hardwood flooring but have learned that it is strongly recommended not to nail it to particle board. It seems that the usual solution is to over lay it with plywood subfloor, but this will cause a problem in our kitchen since it will raise the stove and dishwasher height too high, depending on the thickness. My carpenter said that pulling up the particle board would be a nightmare (i.e. very costly), and we wouldn't be able to remove the subfloor under the interior framing. Additionally, the floor creeks badly in places, presumably where the subfloor is loose/warped. I'd appreciate any ideas on how to handle this quagmire.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don92

It will probably void most warranties to apply to particle board but most warranties arent backed up anyway. I have installed over particle board many times simply because of the cost issue and have not had any problems. With using an air nailer the nails go in so fast at at such an angle that they grip very well and decrease the chances of a blowout. I would check the area very carefully for squeeks and screw down those areas and possibly screw down the entire area. Only speaking for myself and 35 years of remodeling and never a call back.

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 9:49AM
woodfloorpro

Wet particle board will swell and has no cleat holding power, a bad combination.
The best bet is to remove it altogether. It is often a 1/2" sheet over a 1/2" plywood. Just replace it with another 1/2" plywood and there will be no issues over heights to plague current or future home owners.

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 11:58AM
turbo3

Unfortunately it is not over plywood. I can see it from the furnace room, under the kitchen. It's about 1" thick and glued down.

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 1:25PM
boxers

though it may be hard to know for sure some p OSB are acceptable. Bruce recommends 3/4" OSB ps-2-92 rated. If thats the case then you may be ok but its a risk if its not

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 1:34PM
turbo3

To clarify, this is not OSB. It is oatmeal looking particle board from 1973.

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
Has anyone purchased from value floors direct?
Has anyone purchased flooring from value floors direct? I...
willintotry
Natural hickory...yes or no....pics inside
I got a sample box and put it out on over the carpet...I...
msekfe
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
gqchynaboy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™